Power Steering Noise

94tn

Does anyone know if the whining noise when I turn the wheel (especially bad when the car is cold) means my ps pump is going bad. I've checked for leaks and cannot find any. The problem seemed to spring up out of nowhere. Thanks for your help.

sometimes just replacing the p/s fluid with fresh will make it quit...it did

for me but i used a product mnf by havoline and i think it caused my seals to go. use dextron II or III. if you replace the fluid you will have to do it in steps buy drawing down your reservoir (use turkey baster)

refilling with fresh and driving around for a while.... probably have to repeat 10- 15 times to get a good purge.

how many miles on your car??

P/S pump noises are typically caused by two things.

1. Air in the system caused by low fluid level or other reason

2. Pump is working to hard due to: some degree of blockage in the system or excessive worn hard parts such as pump or rack&pinion.

Any leaks? Check the rack specifically near the black boots where the tie rods exit the rack. This area is most prone to leakage as these seals (under the boot) are under heavy use (turning the car) and pressure (pump).

Any loss of steering performance aside from it being worse when cold i.e. hard to turn at any other times? Mileage?

Put a jack behind each front wheel and rais up just off ground.

loosen the PS cap and slowly turn steering wheel lock to lock couple of times

check PS fluid (at the cold mark) and add a little if needed - DEX III ATF

keep cap back on but loosely so more air can escape

start car, and repeat "lock to lock" wheels turns a few more times.

Then re-check PS level, reseal reservoir cap and test drive....

If your fluid is more than 3/4 years old I'd flush it out ;)

My wife said the pump on our car was making noise. The fluid level was low. Apparently I overfilled it a little which may have cause a whole nother problem. Leaked out at high speed causing oil to get on the manifold and exhaust which made a bunch of smoke. Oh man........