Sc400 Strange Vibration

I am a six month owner of a 94 with 80k mile and always dealer serviced. At low speeds and especially when putting on the brakes there is a grinding or low noise vibration that seems to be coming from the drive train area . I first thought it was the brakes but they check out good. Might be wheel bearings but since I am knew to the car I don't know. Everything else perfect. ANy thoughts on this almost 'grinding' noise when I am at low speeds. ( under 20mph) Thanks for any help before I take it to the dealer. Ron

I think you need to have the car up on a lift and checked out by a qualified mechanic. If the drive train checks out OK you might want to check out the transmission mounts and the rear anti-roll bar bushings to see if there is excess play or any rubbing etc. I vaguely remember reading about a similar problem and I think that is what was suggested. Sorry I can't be more specific.........

It still sounds like the brakes. Get it on its noise speed & lightly apply the brakes, does the noise change or go away? If so you are hearing the brake pads vibrating against the rotors. If there's plenty of pad thickness left it's not hurting anything but you'll probably have to change them to get away from the annoying sound. Use OEM pads for the quietest sound.

• 5 years later...
It still sounds like the brakes. Get it on its noise speed & lightly apply the brakes, does the noise change or go away? If so you are hearing the brake pads vibrating against the rotors. If there's plenty of pad thickness left it's not hurting anything but you'll probably have to change them to get away from the annoying sound. Use OEM pads for the quietest sound.

i dont think its the brakes. i am a owner of a 95 lexus sc300, and i am having the same issues with vibrations in the drivetran. the vibration only happends at about 5mph. then after 5mph it goes away... then when i am coming to a stop, it starts to vibrate again at 5mph untill i come to a complete stop. i have other friends with lexus sc300 and toyota supras that had the same issues in the past. they told me it was the center support bearing, or the carrier bearing on the driveshaft.

ive yet to figure it out on my car, i am going to put it up on jack stands and check the under the car today. i will keep you guys updated