Steering Column Noise

Jpmd7

Anyone else having issues with steering column on Rx 350? We heard strange noise with steering. Brought our 2010 Rx350 to dealer who recommended replacing steering column at a cost of over $2400.

We cannot get a straight answer from Lexus- is this expensive repair just to quiet the noise or I'd it a true safety issue? And if it is a safety issue- why won't Lexus cover the needed repair? Car also drifts to the left. Although we've been Lexus owners for 5 vehicles this may be our last . Quality and service seem to be on the decline.

• 1 year later...

Do you have a update on this problem?

My steering also had noise.  It's like two plastic parts are contacting each other.  It only noticeable when car is stopped, and you move the steering wheel 1 inch to left.  My mechanic told me that the left CV drive shaft need to be replaced due to rust.  So it's a little loose play.  Not yet a safety issue.  If I hear a clunking noise, then I will have it replaced.

• 6 years later...
On 1/6/2015 at 9:21 PM, Jpmd7 said:

Anyone else having issues with steering column on Rx 350? We heard strange noise with steering. Brought our 2010 Rx350 to dealer who recommended replacing steering column at a cost of over $2400.

We cannot get a straight answer from Lexus- is this expensive repair just to quiet the noise or I'd it a true safety issue? And if it is a safety issue- why won't Lexus cover the needed repair? Car also drifts to the left. Although we've been Lexus owners for 5 vehicles this may be our last . Quality and service seem to be on the decline.

On 6/17/2016 at 8:29 AM, gwgang said:

Do you have a update on this problem?

My steering also had noise.  It's like two plastic parts are contacting each other.  It only noticeable when car is stopped, and you move the steering wheel 1 inch to left.  My mechanic told me that the left CV drive shaft need to be replaced due to rust.  So it's a little loose play.  Not yet a safety issue.  If I hear a clunking noise, then I will have it replaced.

hey guys, were you able to get to the bottom of this?

If you're hearing and feeling a clunk at low speeds while turning (and no noise any other time) it's the intermediate shaft. It's a known issue with the Lexus/Highlanders and maybe other Toyota/Lexus vehicles that use the same steering setup of this timeframe. I had a Highlander with this issue. There is a newer design intermediate steering shaft with tighter tolerances, and I was able to replace it then brought it in to get the steering wheel centered. Took me about an hour and we don't have a lift; just jack-stands. There's no way it should cost what the OP was quoted.