Just Purchased 92 Sc400

skyak

You should get the carfax and lexus service history from the VIN number. If the seller will allow you to have it checked out by a lexus dealer before completing the purchase do so as the lexus inspection ($90-100) will give you a good idea of what type of shape it is in and the cost of repairs and pending scheduled services. It probably has the old R12 AC so make sure it is fully charged and doesn't leak as it is hard to get R12 and it is expensive. Check to see if it has the power steering pump leak that usually developes at this milage and whether or not it has had the expensive timing belt change service done etc. Expect to do fluid changes oil,brake, transmission coolant etc. You need to have it professionally checked out before you can tell if the price is a fair value.

That is one clean SC for sure. Looks like a new paint job since the lip on 92-94 are flat black, but in any case the paint looks really sharp and it is my favorite color. The interior is really clean. What kind of floor mat is that? That is a cool looking pattern or is it just a vacuum mark. IMHO the price is right for something that clean with low mileage. Even the tires are replacement of the original that came with the car. Welcome the SC family.

Wow thank you for the quick feedback...i checked the carfax and it checks out fine. The seller claims that the timing belt is done (he says there is a sticker). He also claims that the previous owner had an extended warranty past 60000 miles but i'm not sure when it expired. I will check the AC and PS pump closely, thanks for the hint. I think I will call the Lexus dealership down there tomorrow and ask how much an inspection is, it would be great to have the extra piece of mind. It is a lot of cash for a 92 but I am a sucker for gold....hehe

Question...Can you call the dealer and ask for service history if you are not the registered owner?

That is exactly the same car I'm looking at.. Except the one I'm looking at is black. I'm really thinking about getting the car, but with college coming up and my MOM.. lol, it might not happen. But at any rate.. we'll see. Good luck with the car.. its a beauty.

Very nice looking car. I'm with SCdriver. Get a hold of the dealership and tell them that you purchased the car, and would like to know the service history. They should be able to give you a print out of the car's history dating back to when they recieved it first. If they give you a hassle, just have the owner call there and verify that you'll be contacting them for the info. I'm sure they will want to fax it to you, since that would be the easiest.

Other than that, nice buy. It's a little more than what I would've payed for the car, but I'm more of a 300 fan, than the 400. If you're into the 400's I think it's a good buy.

Congratulations and welcome to the SC Family! :lol:

i agree with all of you, excellent deal on the car, looks brand new, if you can get any papers on the car regarding any work that had been done and the services that would be a good plus. id definitely get the inspection its well worth the 100 bucks, i had an inspection done on mine and found out everything was in tip top shape and no work was needed as far as they could tell, but still had brakes and all fluids changed from brakes to the tranny, id do the same if i were you. it even looks like the detailed the engine! either youre gettin a great dell or looks can be decieving, find out as much as you can before you buy, and hopefully a nice test drive in scheduled make sure everything works and drive with the radio off. welcome to the lexus family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying to Phoenix tomorrow to complete the purchase...sure hope it works out for the best. Can't wait to drive the sc through the Grand Canyon on the way home to Alberta.

It's snowing here right now up north, guess it's a good thing its got traction control and heated seats....

ps....i am all about the gold rims and pipes...but then growing up in the 80's does do some strange things to you....hehe

Setup an appointment to see the dealer before you leave. THey might be a problem down-the-road.

Hey, don't the 92 SC4s come with the spoiler, or was that adopted afterwards?

I believe the rear spoiler was an option on the SC400 for the first couple of years of production and later became standard equipment. It lowers the drag coefficent a bit at high speeds and can be added on with an original or aftermarket part if wanted but the car looks good with or without it. I would leave it as is unless you expect to drive a lot at speeds over 100mph and want additional downforce.