Should I Buy This '92 Sc400?

Jac0b

Ok.. this is the deal.

I currently own a '93 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Coupe with 53k miles. The car has given me problems since almost DAY ONE. I'm completely fed up and ready to move on.. but I don't have much money being that college starts later on this year. Turns out, a good friend of mine has a '92 Lexus SC400 that he is selling. The odometer says that it has 201k miles on it.. which I don't like and worries me a lot.. but he says the engine was rebuilt 35k miles ago.. and all this other technical car stuff that I don't know about.. As you can see, I know nothing about cars.. Anyways, he said he'd sell the car to me for 5,200. Other than the mileage that I'm scared of.. the car looks excellent. I didn't see any damage whatsoever on the outside and the inside is nice also.. Dispite the leather seats that aren't really that bad at all. Basically, I need to know if this is a good deal or if I should keep my car.

Please respond,

Jacob

yes. I have a 1992 SC400 with 276K on miles, and the motor hasn't been rebuilt. the car still runs like a dream. a few minor things might go wrong here or there, but if you cant find it on ebay, lextasy.com , or get it from somebody on here then you dont really need it :) my advice would be to go for it--even with the miles, he boasts rebuild, test drive it, and tell me if you dont fall in love with it.

-Chris

Okay.. but before I do. How is the gas mileage on the car? The reason I ask is because I will be commuting back and forth to college which is about 2 hours on the highway and I just wanted to know how much I'd be looking at spending.

on mine i have full exhaust, from the manifolds back, with a deep rumble, which is going to make my car run really rich......

and i fill up and drive on a full tank for 3 or 4 days, and i actually live outside of tampa bay, and have to drive in everyday for work...

i get probably about 22-28 miles to the gallon, and im also not very easy on my car (even with the milage, these 4.0 v8's they put in lexus' are very stout motors) i hotrod mine around everywhere i go ....

so take 'er easy and im positive you'll get better gas milage! :cheers:

Yeah, I just asked my friend and he says he gets around 25mpg.. so that sounds right. Also, I test drove the car and it felt like I was riding in an airplane.. Lol, with the whole layout of the dash and everything. I loved the smoothness.. it was great. So, I'm putting my car up for sale tomorrow MORNING.. and I'm going to purchase the Lexus. I'm very excited. I can't wait to see things pan out through the next week or so. Thanks for the help.. I'll keep everyone updated.

An poorly cared for and/or abusively driven SC400 with 200k miles is one of the worst possible choices you could make because it will be unreliable and cost a fortune to keep fixing all the expensive componets that will soon fail. The prior owners(s) had to have done something very abusive or neglectful to ruin the engine. And whatever abuse or neglect that ruined the engine likely caused alot of heavy wear and tear on other expensive drivetrain componets as well.

The most reliable used Lexus's are generally those driven by 55-85 year olds because these owners generally drive their cars gently and unhurriedly and have been responsible about getting the required preventive maintenance done on time at a Lexus dealer or Lexus specialty shop. Their cars generally have little suspension or drivetrain wear and therefore will be alot more reliable and durable.

What I'm trying to say is.. should I take it to a Lexus dealership and have it checked out to make sure everything is okay? Or should I just not buy the car. This is a very big risk I am taking and I need a car that is going to last me for at least the first couple years of college.. and from the looks of it.. This Grand Prix is not going to make it.. at least not without a lot of work done. I need a reliable car now.. What do I do.. If I don't get this car.. then what? I need more suggestions..

You shouldn't buy the car because there is no way a Lexus dealer can tell from an inspection how soon major componets are going to develope leaks or fail altogether.

Rebuilt Toyota / Lexus engines routinely have problems because no rebuilder uses genuine Toyota / Lexus parts and gaskets - just low cost imitation quality parts and gaskets. They also don't follow the engine rebuilding instructions giving in the factory repair manual.

The only 200,000 mile car worth buying is one that was driven mainly on the highway by a traveling salesman or consultant type person like this guy http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lloyd.jpg or by a long distance commuter AND when the owner has a stackful of service receipts showing oil changes done at least every 5000 miles plus many thousands of dollars spent during the major services required at 60,000, 120,000 and 180,000 miles.

If you have $5,000 to spend the most reliable car would be 1999-2001 Corolla,

Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra driven by an older adult lady. A car like that would be in virtually brand new condition both mechanically and cosmetically, but such cars are hard to find unless you spend alot of time looking. www.cars.com offers a free way to search newspaper ad listings nationwide and by region and can be a tremendous help.

Another good vehicle choice would be a two wheel drive '97 on up Toyota Tacoma pickup as it is the ultimate vehicle for reliability and durability, but of course, is a bit crude comfortwise compared to a passenger car.

ya i agree with the cheap imitation parts, i have had a few run-ins with that whole scenario...

you might ask who did the rebuild--if not by a lexus dealership or someone who has specialized in lexus the definatly dont buy it-- also ask about parts (lexus/toyota or some knock off), that should help you some...

awwww.....

are you guys talking about me?? :D

found this thread and thought it sounded alot like my car!!!

Yes the motor was rebuilt--by two mechanics that went to wyotech specializing in lexus, porsche, and bmw--

the motor, on the other hand, wasn't ruined-it ran fine when rebuild was done-i know the previous owner, and knew him when the rebuild was being done, or i wouldnt've bought the car-- he had the money and figured it needed it because the milage was at 165k-- the parts are guinine toyots parts--from a soarer that was here in the states, that was wrecked in the !Removed! end, with 55k on that motor.

i have had this car checked through and through by more that a few people and shops before i bought it, and have only had it for 3 1/2 months--

car runs great, sounds even better,and i hate to get rid of it--but i need to pay off some debt

think about it james, do what you gotta do--you not buying my car isnt gonna break my heart--but you will miss out on a great deal :mellow:

I agree Seth, but I just don't want to make the same mistake twice.. I don't want to go from bad to worse.. that's what I'm afraid of. I'm just not completely comfortable with it yet.. But I'm still not throwing the idea away.. whether or not I buy your car.. I'm still getting rid of mine.

Jacob, 92SC400 told us last month that he's been street racing his car (which, of course is abusive treatment) . He wrote:

"My PimpOserous has safely hit 200,000 miles.....all happened last night

while i was racing out in Kansas... i happened to win and promptly ask

the guy how it felt to be beat by a car that has 200k on it!"

Also, in March, 92SC400 said the engine actually had 200K miles on it and

had never been rebuilt and that he paid only $3,750 for the car. He wrote:

"just bought a '92 SC400 not too long ago, and i decided to tough out the

rebuild...the 200k on the motor isnt making me happy, but it runs very

strong, never been wrecked, and pulls like crazy already...for $3750 it's

not bad."

It makes no sense at all that the prior owner would have spent

thousands of dollars to rebuild the engine and then turn around and sell

the car for a below average price of only $3.750.

A properly driven and maintained Toyota or Lexus engine still runs like new at 200K

or 300K and still has no serious internal engine wear.

That's why some owners drive them 500-600,000 miles without an engine rebuild.

So if this car was truly maintained correctly and not driven abusively, it wouldn't

make any sense that the prior owner would spend big money to

have his 165,000 mile Lexus engine rebuilt when there is nothing inside

the engine that would be seriously worn. What engine rebuilder in his right mind

would grind unworn valves, replace unworn camshafts, rebore unworn cylinders,

fit new unworn piston rings, etc? And what engine rebuilder would think of ever

rebuilding a 165,000 mile engine with parts from a used 55,000 miles engine?

None of this makes any sense at all.

I just bought a 92 sc400 myself about 3 weeks ago it has had 2 owners and has 118,000 miles on it, has been well cared for and has all the paperwork on all the work that has been done on it, which is the main reason i bought the car, i wanted to know im getting a good car that was cared for,165K isnt that much mileage but it does strike me as odd you would need a rebuild at 165K, so in my theory the car had to be abused at some point to need a rebuild, since you would be commuting along ways, Personally i would pass on this deal and do some shopping around and try to salvage that grand am a little while longer, i know its not what you want, but it doesnt sound like you want that SC either, just my opinion,