Any High Mileage 400H Owners Here?

Hello all - I'm very close to purchasing a 2007 RX400h. The car has 95,000 miles on it but has had the inverter recall, water pump, and timing chain done at 88,000 miles along with other regular servicing through the years.

It is a one-owner car and appears to have been well cared for. No accidents, and it has approximately 3 months left on the hybrid system warranty.

Are there any other major issues that crop up in these vehicles at the 100k mark? I'd like to get 2-3 years out of it before I trade off again. I do about 10k miles per year so I may only rack up 20-30k before moving on.

The salesman at the dealership tells me that there is nothing to do other than put gas in it at this point. Sounds good but a bit unrealistic. I've had several Toyotas in the last 35 years, and many of them develop annoying electrical issues around the 100k mark, and with Lexus, that seems like it may get expensive.

I'd love to hear from any 400h owners who have logged well over 100k.

thanks!

I purchased my 06 400h new and at 120,000 miles it is still going strong, the only electrical issue with this car is the rather small conventional battery(so don't sit in the car and listen to the radio with the engine off) , however once started the hybrid battery takes over. the water pump and the timing chain done at 88K were the major items that could go wrong outside of the hybrid system which has been reliable. At 120K spark plugs are usually changed so that is the next major service outside of your current 95K. Check the headlights for condensation there is a recall on those if they are collecting water that could short out the ballast. You have no alternator in this vehicle and the rear lights are led. If it is a fair deal price wise for you I would buy it, most dealers keep the better used cars on the lot and auction off the others.

First question has the timing belt been done, it is due at 90k miles...From that point on you should be maintenance free. Spark plugs are not due till 120k miles, however they would probably go easy 200k. I have 156k miles on my 2008 RX400h. Great car, will never regret.

It should be due for transmission system service for transmission fluid and differential (gear oil) fluid changes.

I would also recommend brake fluid service if it hadn't been done, recently.

• 7 years later...

My 2006 RX 400h has almost 275,000(274364) and it still works perfectly. ALL the original equipment is working and the original hybrid batteries are still working fine. Gas mileage is still 26/gallon and I have only done the normal 5000 mile checks at the Lexus dealership. We are planning on about 10,000 miles of trips this year with it. This is the first vehicle I have taken over 100k miles that still has all the equipment working and no leaks. 

• Like 1

That's great to see, and yet just as I expected. Ours is half your odometer reading and the only issues it has had was

1. One or two of the triangular (side) window frame covers. They fell off but the windows are still perfectly sealed. I couldn't buy the frames by themselves (without the windows) so I left them as-is.

2. The valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced.

For a 17 year-old vehicle, this has been amazingly reliable.

I do wipe the leather seats with conditioner once a month and I do run full synthetic oil. I only use top-tear premium gas ( in the US only the best gasoline is able to carry that label ) Consumer Reports said it was worth the difference. I also use Lexus touch up paint each spring to cover any rock chips. 

We have 263k miles, Everything working fine.  Had to replace front Control Arms for broken bushings. Other than that everything routine maintenance.  I do now have a oil leak from rear valve cover (sucks) I have to remove intake manifold to get to it..  Best auto I have ever owned in over 50 years.  On original hybrid batteries. I have provided all maintenance since purchase.  

• Like 1