Heat Problem Under Front Seats 2001 Lx470

spencer669

There is an excessive (huge) amount of heat that entering the passenger compartment.

This makes hot weather driving extremely uncomfortable even with the A/C cranked up.

The location of the catalytic converters under the floor pan (almost directly under the front seats) and the the electronic equipment for the navigaton/audio system under the front passenger seat is a serious problem.

The dealer agrees that there is a great deal of heat entering the passenger compartment, but is unable to correct the problem. The dealer has not found anything that could be repaired to correct the problem.

Apparently Lexus relocated the catalytic converters and the electronic equipment on later models of the LX470 to eliminate this problem.

Does anyone know of anything that can be done to correct this problem?

Make sure that the vent in the back seat under the center console is not blocked. I have floor liners that were blocking the foot vent in the back seat and that is where the heat was coming from under the front seats in my 1999 LX470.

I'm curious about the foot vent on the 470 -- on the 450 the only time you'd get heat from that vent is if you use the rear heat switch. Does the 470 control rear heat differently; i.e. is there no separate switch for the rear heat?

BTW, I have the same problem with the mats I have back there blocking the heater vents -- darned Husky liners...

Doug

...The dealer has not found anything that could be repaired to correct the problem.

You could possibly check with a muffler shop to see if they can install additional heat sheilds.

I had a similar problem with a '94 Land Cruiser. The catalytic converters were directly under the passenger floorboard -- on long trips, it got quite hot.

Doug

Yes separate heat switch over the third row seating on roof of the drivers side above the back of the second row seats on my 99 LX470. The kids always play around with things they should not touch ;)

• 17 years later...