So... How Do You Wash A Black Car Again ?

OK, I have read and re-read instructions of how to clean a car. Every other article seems to bad mouth the previous articles use of polish, wax, etc. So in a nut shell, can you guys give me a EASY way or link to get a "how to" or "good" products to get for black cars.

Again, I don't have lots of time to detail. Car is garaged and is dusted clean.

Wash ?

Polish ?

Wax ?

Quick Detail ?

Thanks and sorry to beat a dead horse... I'm kind of dense.

George

Check out all the how to's over at www.lexuscarcare.com they'll give you a good baseline.

Basically with black just just have to be very careful, use a high quality sheepskin mitt, two buckets (one for rinsing) and don't touch the car unless its with a soapy mitt (no dusting).

my car is really dark green, u have to take extra care with dark colors

this is what i do

wash---meguair's car wash/ high quality mit

dry--- California water blade and sheep skin shimmy

magic clay bar----quick deatiler

color X---buffer/foam pad

show car glaze--buffer---foam pad

NXT---hand--foam applicator

hand buff all products off with microfiber towel. i never use terry on black

take your time!!!! do it right!!!

you'll thank yourself later ;)

also you can find all those products i have listed at pep boys or equivelent

no ordering neccesary

i also reccomend going to walmart first, as you can get the NXT wax and Color X for 2-3 dollars cheaper. but pep boys for the rest as walmart doesn't carry meguirars proffesional products, just the general products

What is the color x product? thx!

its a relatively new product from meguiar's, it has nothing to do actually with color, nothing like that old color product turtle wax used to carry

it kind of has some of the same qualities as scratch X as far as removing fine scratches and unwanted blemishes, but at the same time it will bring out a deep luster as well, very much so if you have metalic flake in you paint

I don't think there's really an easy way to just "wash" a dark colored car.

Detailing a dark colored car can be tedious since dark colors make any flaws show up. But dark colors do look great when done properly. So use quality products to justify your intensive labor. All of us have our favorite products and "cleaning proceedures", but the real key seems to be in the preparation of the surface.

My favoite car cleaning product line is Zaino (for my Black Excalibur, Red Buick Reatta, and Silver Lexus), check those out at www.zainostore.com Read the application tips as well as the product info. Much of the info is applicable to almost any product line. And if you do it right the first time, maintaining a beautiful appearance will be much easier.

HRP is very right :D

everyone has his or her take on whats the BEST product, but in all reality just use which one you prefer and go with it.

i like to experiment with different products too. :)

but the quality of the work as far as prep is the biggest issue, take your time and do it right the first time, then the maintenece will be a heck of a lot easier

give her a good run through with the clay bar for sure.

with black make sure to always dry the car as soon as you are done washing it, cause those water spots will start creeping up on you :lol:

with a lighter color car water spots really just arent' that prevelant. or you just can't see em either way :blink:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Silvermate. Sometimes we all get hung up on our favorite product and forget that the hard work and time you put into the prep before applying the polish/wax/sealant/glaze is what really makes the finished job look really great.

:D

I want to thank everyone for the ideas about washing the black cars. I bought the microfiber towels, the california water blade (which I never would have considered without the recommendation, but it is awesome) & the colorx. I am very happy with the results. I also bought the lexol cleaner & preservative, I havent used it on the car yet, but did do my Italian Leather Sofa & it looks great .

Now I have more questions... the bottle isn't very clear, I am assuming colorx ISN'T a wax right? Do I need to wax after colorx? So zaino is the best/easiest wax...

Thanks again!

Now I have more questions... the bottle isn't very clear, I am assuming colorx ISN'T a wax right? Do I need to wax after colorx? So zaino is the best/easiest wax...

great!!!

i bet it looks really good, feel free to post some pics :D

technically Color X is a one step product.....

however, i peronally don't use it that way, i use it as a cleaner/polish, (its great for the step after claybar)... then follow with a glaze and then your favorite sealant wax.....( i use NXT, but everyone has his/her own favorite) colinite,zaino, zymol,meguiar's, mothers, ect............

just experiment with different sealant waxes, if you ask the members whats the best, easiest wax to use you will have 30 different responses and oppinions

actually that has already been posted in the past.....you can do a search if you really need suggestions on a wax.

good luck :D

guys, is the new colorX a replacement for meg.#9 swirl remover... sorry to keep asking about the same product.

no its not a replacement. the swirl remover is a professional paint cleaning prodcut mostly intended for buffer and or rotary use.

the Color X is also a cleaner but it is listed as a one step product for swirls, small scratches ect.... and for a wax, but i use it for a cleaner, (works great). it is also intended for use by hand (no need for a machine to break down product) unlike the swirl remover.

hope this helps clarify :D

So zaino is the best/easiest wax...

Zaino is not a "wax", but a sealant.

It sounds like you've done the hard work, preparing the finish. Sealants last much longer than most waxes. Everyone has their favorite, which is why there are so many. I'm a "Zaino Zealot" and prefer their products. If you go to the Autopia website (a detailing enthusiast's site), specifically this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.p...&threadid=36157

you will find at least 5 pages of posts discussing Zaino vs NXT (another excellent product), along with comments about other comparable sealants, etc. You'll probably find more info there than you want to know.

Zaino (Z-5 if you have swirls and light scratches, Z-2 if the finish is how you want it) has one extra step. You will need to add ZFX to the Z-5 or Z-2 to speed up the hardening process and to avoid the need for adding a "pre-sealant (the old Z-1). Check out the Zaino application site:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...ode=APPLICATION

We OCD (obcessive compulsive detailers) get quite impassioned about our favorite products; but all of us agree that the hard work is the preparation, not the application, of the final sealant/wax/glaze/polish. The final coat is the "icing on the cake".

But don't forget the vinyl protectant, "dressing" the wheelwells, tire dressing, and cleaning the glass. Too often those final "touches" are omitted, leaving a clean nice looking job, but not an outstanding one that really draws attention and compliments, and makes you look back at your car with pride every time you park it, even in your own garage.

In fact, Just for giggles about looking back at your car, check out this thread on the Buick Reatta discussion group:

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat.ph...sb=5&o=&fpart=1