Looking At An 91 Ls400 W/ 214K. Two Quick Questions: Running Without P

hibernatingbear

Hey guys,

I have a chance of picking up an 91 LS400 w/ 214k.

1. The seller states that it runs perfect but the PS hasn't worked since he got it 6months ago. I don't mind the idea of driving without PS (I'm doing it now) but I just want to make sure that it won't ruin the rack. I'll eventually adress the issue but I want to make sure I can DD it now.

2. The car has been "lowered", but when I asked how he lowered it, he just stated that the air was let out of the bags. That it runs bouncy but I could propably hook up a compressior and fill them back up. Obviously I know that's not it works, but just wondering if it's something that someone manually messed with or disabled.

I want to check it out this weekend but he's asking $3500 for it, so I want to make sure it's remotely worth his asking price. Here is his CL ad w/ pics: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4818121737.html

Thanks guys for any info! Merry Xmas

Hi Jake and welcome to LOC!

My son recently bought a 91 LS400 with 125k miles from a Lexus dealer and was(is) in outstanding condition. Paid $3100 for it.

This is just to illustrate that nice examples are out there, however this one that you are looking at does not appear to be one of those. You can also see where the hood is bent (probably due to aftermarket struts). And lowered? Forget it. Find a more 'virgin' LS. I am with Billy and Bob....stay away from this one.

Hi Jake and welcome to LOC!

My son recently bought a 91 LS400 with 125k miles from a Lexus dealer and was(is) in outstanding condition. Paid $3100 for it.

This is just to illustrate that nice examples are out there, however this one that you are looking at does not appear to be one of those. You can also see where the hood is bent (probably due to aftermarket struts). And lowered? Forget it. Find a more 'virgin' LS. I am with Billy and Bob....stay away from this one.

landar, do you mean suspension type struts or hood lift struts? I've used after market hood struts with no problems, they always need to be freed up though before installing them. Just curious you got me wondering what happened to it. I thought it was a hit to the front.

I wish I could run into a super good one like your son did. My 92 is okay has almost perfect interior, and a few imperfections exterior at 137k miles. I think the trunk lid and bumper tops had repaint at some time nothing else repaint though. Not happy with trunk lid. Or front fenders a few scratches on hood etc. Other wise it's okay.

I mean hood struts. There were early reports of some aftermarket struts being so strong that the hood would actually bend or deform when trying to close. It may no longer be the case and this car may have been in an accident or had the wrong stuts. But the hood clearly does not mate correctly with the fenders.

Yeah forget about that one. It clearly looks like the hood has been bent. On my old 91 I forgot to slam the hood shut and while I was driving the hood came up and smacked my windshield. cracked windshield and bent hood was the end result.

What the others have said: Run away from that car! It sounds like it was "expertly" beaten to within an inch of its life, then "expertly" modded.

If you were in the midwest, I'd say touch base with me, as I'll be selling one of my LSes (I have a '93 and a '94 LS at moment, and may be picking up an LS430 in the next month).

Best,

Paul

Surprisingly, it's been pretty much snow-free out here in this part of the Midwest so far this winter. As far as I'm concerned, after last winter I'm quite all right with the lack of snow. Now... between there and here, it looks like the mountain west states have had plenty of winter already.

The '93's a pearl white/beige, ex-air suspension car. 282k.; good driver, but not pristine--my daily. My clients and co-workers think it's nice. ;-) . The '94's coming out of project status. That one's an Anniversary Edition car (warm gray pearl--stunning color on an early car!), 180k, very solid, just catching up on deferred maintenance and minor fixit items before putting it in service.

In an ideal world, I'm keeping the '94, even if a '430 purchase happens. :)

Email me off list if you want to discuss further.

Best,

Paul

WAYYYY too much. Driving that car without power steering will prove to be impossible and dangerous. The air suspension on the early LS400's was great when new. Not very good when old.

I'd offer a maximum of $1000. There are too many around that are much better deals and you don't want one that someone has screwed around with.