Replacing Headllamp Bulbs

The driver side headlamp bulb (low beam) is burned out on my 1997 ES300. Would somebody please provide some instructions on how to replace the bulb? I can pull the wiring connector off the back of the bulb holder, but I can't seem to get to the bulb itself. The bulb holder appears to be attached to an elastomer cup, and I'm afraid of ripping the elastomer and destroying the seal to the headlight chamber. Also, the battery seems to be in the way for accessing the driver's side bulb (I've been working on the passenger side for practice.) I think some advice here may help a lot of other ES 300 owners. Thanks in advance. thanks in advance.

To pull the actual headlight bulb out, you must first remove the black rubber cup (just pull it out). Keep a clean rag handy in case it looks dusty or dirty. Then, look for a metal clip wire with a hook at the end. This metal clip provides the locking position of the headlight bulb and is located behind the base of the bulb. Once you see the metal clip, unhook it and gently move it out of the way from the bulb. Now you should be able to easily pull the burnt out bulb out from the headlamp. When you install a new headlight bulb, remember how the old bulb is positioned into the headlamp assy, and how the metal spring clip locks to the base of the bulb.

I had no problems accessing the driver's side bulb from my '01 ES, even though the battery provided some cramped spacing. I don't believe it's necessary to remove the battery for convenience, but if under frustration, go ahead and do that. Hope this info helps.

lexusk8, you have to replace the headlight bulbs on ur 01 ES already? i have an 01 and i wonder how long the HIDs should last me... were yours HIDs?

I actually upgraded the stock halogens in my non-HID equipped '01 ES to PIAA 4150K Xtreme White lows. That was the very first mod I did on the car when I got it last year :)

The front headlights on the 97 are bit of a pain in the neck, I replaced em they are easy to remove and put in all except the fact that little Pin clip thing is a pain in the neck and can be frustrating. I kept dropping it but maybe thats just me <_<

Thanks for the advice. I was able to replace the low-beam headlamp bulbs without too much trouble. I used Osram Sylvania H7-ST Silverstar bulbs that I bought on the internet for ~$45. I had a little trouble getting the rubber boots off. It took more force than I was expecting, but eventually they popped out. Also, it takes quite a bit of force to unhook and hook the looped end of the wire that holds the bulb assembly to the headlight fixture. My one additional suggestion is to make sure you have good light. I did the job in the driveway and positioned the car so that the sun was shining in the right direction. By the way, after replacing the bulb on the passenger side so I could get the hang of it, I was able to replace the bulb on the driver's side without removing the battery.