1) p0170- Fuel Trim Bank 1

2) p0130- (bank 1) Front heated oxygen sensor voltage is constant

3) p0133- (bank1) Front oxygen sensor slow response

4) p0150- (bank 2) Front heated oxygen sensor voltage is constant

5) p0153- (bank 2) Front oxygen sensor slow response

6) p0441- EVAP VSV malfunction OR EVAP VSV stuck closed OR EVAP VSV stuck open

7) p0500- Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction

8) p0720- Output shaft speed sensor circuit

I just bought the car and I know vehicle speed sensor was just replaced so that shouldn't be an issue but the others are a huge worry. Problem started when I was driving and the car shut off. I started it back up and as I would accelerate from a stop it wouldn't move but the RPM's would just go up. When I dropped the gear into the 2nd gear (automatic gearbox) it would move and then I was able to shift into D (Drive) and it would drive smooth. I then parked it because I didn't wanna push it. I tried the next day to move it and it drove fine for about 6 or 7 miles then it would start to sputter/bog nasty. I again was able to do the 2nd gear move to advance again. When I shifted it into reverse it started to shake horribly again. Please help!!!

xstrike393x,

Your codes 1 through 6 most likely are all related and the cause of one or two faults. If the fuel trim (po170) is off, the O2 sensor codes will be thrown for both banks (po130, po133, po150, po153) and may be caused by any of the following:

Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2 harnesses are open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2 circuits poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks

- bad MAS sensor

And since your po441 code is in there too, there may be a problem with the Evapoator canister system.

I'd be willing to bet that just one or two of these issues is throwing all of the codes. Look for broken vacuum hoses, an intake leak, bad MAS sensor (clean it?), or your Vacuum canister system has a hose, solenoid or wiring problem. After that I'd look at your ECM or its wiring.

I very much doubt that your O2 sensors are the issue, but that something else I've listed is upsetting them.

If you aren't the DIY backyard mechanic type and don't know where to go next, I'd suggest taking the car to a good independent mechanic you can trust. He should be able to diagnose the issue quickly. Good Luck!

• Like 1

xstrike393x,

Your codes 1 through 6 most likely are all related and the cause of one or two faults. If the fuel trim (po170) is off, the O2 sensor codes will be thrown for both banks (po130, po133, po150, po153) and may be caused by any of the following:

Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2

- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2 harnesses are open or shorted

- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 and 2 circuits poor electrical connection

- Inappropriate fuel pressure

- Faulty fuel injectors

- Intake air leaks

- Exhaust gas leaks

- bad MAS sensor

And since your po441 code is in there too, there may be a problem with the Evapoator canister system.

I'd be willing to bet that just one or two of these issues is throwing all of the codes. Look for broken vacuum hoses, an intake leak, bad MAS sensor (clean it?), or your Vacuum canister system has a hose, solenoid or wiring problem. After that I'd look at your ECM or its wiring.

I very much doubt that your O2 sensors are the issue, but that something else I've listed is upsetting them.

If you aren't the DIY backyard mechanic type and don't know where to go next, I'd suggest taking the car to a good independent mechanic you can trust. He should be able to diagnose the issue quickly. Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the feedback. My big worry is that I keep hearing that its the transmission. I drove it and it seems like the car is confused about what gear to be in. I could be going 20mph and then its like its no longer in gear and the revs just shoot up as if in neutral; it will then begin to accelerate and intermittently it seems like its upshifting and downshifting like its confused. I will clean the MAF and check for any air leaks. could the shifting issue be the "Vehicle speed sensor"?

xstrike393x,

So now its the transmission causing all of your problems?

Pardon me, but you have 6 codes .... all of which refer to engine systems ... and you're being told that your transmission is the problem? There are about 35 possible transmission codes, and you have not posted about any one of them.

I don't see the logic here!!!!

Now, it is possible that your ECM is going screwy, and its the culprit for absolutely everything that's gone wrong with your car, so how will you diagnose that?

As I explained in my previous posts ... you are in over your head trying to get to the bottom of your issue with the expertise you presently have. You need to take the car to a trusted independent mechanic and spend some money. Again I say, " Good Luck!"

xstrike393x,

So now its the transmission causing all of your problems?

Pardon me, but you have 6 codes .... all of which refer to engine systems ... and you're being told that your transmission is the problem? There are about 35 possible transmission codes, and you have not posted about any one of them.

I don't see the logic here!!!!

Now, it is possible that your ECM is going screwy, and its the culprit for absolutely everything that's gone wrong with your car, so how will you diagnose that?

As I explained in my previous posts ... you are in over your head trying to get to the bottom of your issue with the expertise you presently have. You need to take the car to a trusted independent mechanic and spend some money. Again I say, " Good Luck!"

Ok so as recommended I searched for any leaks and the vehicle does not have any (I checked by ear, visually, and by the use of spray to see if car would react differently), I replaced the Vehicle speed sensors (rpm and speedometer), and I also cleaned off the mass air flow sensor. Along with that I also noticed that one of the o2 sensors had oil residue on it due to it being so close to the trans dipstick so I also cleaned that off using the QB electric cleaner. Last but not least I also replaced the Trans filter, gasket, and of course oil (the oil seemed as if it had not been replaced in a long time). The car drives and it does not shift properly (by this I mean that it does not always downshift on its own into first at a complete stop and it never shifts into 4th the final drive gear at all). I have driven about 15 miles and no codes reappear, I am going to continue driving a bit more to wait and see if any codes reappear. until then any more suggestions?

xstrike393x,

I say again, take the car to a reputable independent mechanic and get the problem properly diagnosed. Your tranny issues may be related to your VSS. If the ECM can't tell how fast the car is going, it won't shift the transmission to the proper gears at the proper times. Or your ECM is bad. Or some wiring, or ......

I can appreciate that you want to fix as much of your car related issues as you can yourself. I do the same. I have 3 antique cars, two daily drivers, a diesel dually, a 5th wheel RV and two garden tractors, and I do all of my own maintenance myself. I'm a backyard mechanic who has been in the back yard a long time, but even I know when I'm in over my head and need an expert.

I'll change a motor or a tranny myself, but for me to rebuild either one myself? Its not going to happen! " A man has got to know his limitations." (Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry)

I am in need of a transmission. Working at an auto parts store I was able to get expert opinions from 6 different head mechanics at different shops and unfortunately I was told several times the trans is my issue. Now of course I could also just have faulty solenoids and/or the valve bodies are an issue but to replace/maintenance those problems are about the same price or possibly more than just getting a used trans. Any recommendations on any cheap places around the Corona city area?

xstrike393x,

There are all kinds of Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) engine/tranny suppliers who buy containers full of older Japanese car engines and trannies, have them shipped to the US and Canada, and then install them or resell them for exactly your purpose.

All of the larger centers in the US and Canada have such suppliers. Look in the auto trade papers/magazines for Japanese used engine suppliers. Here's one we have in Toronto, Canada:

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/