Headlights Wont Dim

BlackLex

How could both low beams in both bulbs burn out excactly the same time

A surge could take out both together.

Or, maybe the supply to the low beam went out (low beam switch). Don't know at this point but you have to start somewhere. The clues will start to add up.

Now, there is also a headlight dimmer relay in slot E of Junction block 2. It switches between hi and low beams. That is also highly suspect if your car is a Canadian model with Daytime Running Lights.

Must have been surge ...replaced bulbs ..so far so good all are working ...wonder if while switching on that morning With gloves on i partially engadged switch thats When they blew...or while trying to top off power steering I spilt on alternator ...4 days Later I got surge.....thanks for the help guys.never figured on surge

Did you verify that both bulbs were burned out? That's a pretty good smoking gun for a surge.

But a surge caused by slipping with gloves on...no. Wont happen. I am also skeptical of the spilt power steering fluid(did you really do that?).

Glad you got it working but I really do not know what to make of it at this point. Again, check both bulb filaments to confirm a burn out.

Yes i really did sptill some power steering fluid while topping it off ...I after wrk one day powersteering ry noisey..low on fluid...embarrased by noise I stopped at nearest parts store,I esa all out at home ,and tried fill with no funnel on windy day in Store parking lot...foolish mistake I know especialy With alternator underneath. Now for low beams on bulbs both burnt? ..Yes both are burnt.......I just remember that morning switching n lights and turning them half way,in between clicks on switch ..thats When both blew out

Thinking that burning out both bulbs at same Time was one in a million chance and that high beams and fogs still worked I was sure that dimmer switch was the cause so i bought one at napa...when I tried installment I could see I was over my head..on 94 itsa 3 hr. Job at dealer...so i brought in to dealer after many corespondance over phone and without further diagnosis they installed headlightdimmer..to no avail. I was in hurry that day so I left dralership...on way home I stopped for gas and gas lid door did not open ,niether did trunk latch,With switches inside car...they worked fine Before bringing in to dealer...what happened?..I Checked circuit breaker and its fine????

I guess next time something happens I will bring to dealer and leave blank check ..and just get Josef or maybe people will say if u cant afford repairs u cant afford car...or maybe why dont I just bye new car make huge payments and be done w/it

So the dealer installed a new dimmer switch at your request because of the burned out low beams and just blindly installed it w/o first doing a simple bulb test? Seems somewhat unorthodoxed. They really should have serviced the overall problem and they would have found the bulbs were out.

If I were you, I would check the charge voltage just to make sure it is within proper range (13.5 to 14.5Vdc)

On your trunk lid issue, did you check to see if you have the lockout button engaged?

Well thanks, BlackLex. I want to caution you that even an '08 Buick Lasabre can have its share of expensive problems too.

Like anything in life, it takes patience and perseverance to get thru these issues.

So, do not get discouraged about your LS. You can still get mechanical help without using the Lexus dealer and it is much cheaper. Just find a good independent mechanic in your area.

Now, did you check your trunk lockout button? I think its located around your left knee position under the dash.

Lock out button is not locked....first thing I checked not just once bit many times to make sure...about the dealership yes they blindly installed dimmer switch that I had brought.without any diagnostics at all..I went out to shop when mechanic just had old switch out and I asked if he tested switch and he said no..well find out When we install new switch...I had correspondance Before with dealer many times but we could not get on same page

Weird electrical issues often can be traced back to a failing battery. Batteries are funny things but I do know how very important juice is to the LS400 so always a good place to start. Simply checking the voltage isn't enough. You need to have a load test done by someone who knows what they are doing. They boys at the auto parts store often don't so look for the graybeards.

Ok, that clears all the fusible links and door circuit breaker as far as the fuel door solenoid goes. At this point it is looking like either the fuel door switch or the fuel door solenoid is bad. Other than that, all that is left is the ground on the solenoid. Should be fairly straight-forward to figure out.

In my 1990 LS400 when the wires in the left trunk hinge got pinched repeatedly, all kinds of wired things happened. If you checked fuses and links you are down to a loose connector block, a broken wire, or a bad ground. I have always found electrical issues to be one of the more difficult problems to resolve. I guess you find the last point of power and work outward. Somehow, all of your issues are related. Now all you need is the Scorpions to solve the problem.

Brought back to dealer because I never had problem with trunk and gas door lid Before they installed headlight dimmer switch....while regestering car at services and telling them when problem Started ..service Man called tech and tech said problems related I said no...they brought in car and minutes later told me my car was done no charge....tech forgot To reconnect conector somewhere I dont no where ...that was that ..no sorry bout that or anything...had to drive 200 mi. To dealer..oh will everything working now