Softer Ride With 18s?

Hi i have a 93 SC with 18s on em I dont know what kind of tires they are but the car rides really really hard and feels like a skateboard sometimes.My question is,I know that the bigger wheels make the ride harder but is there a brand or type of tire that might help make it a little better?

thx

Tire construction makes a huge difference. For example, my crappy Khumo 712's in 235/45/17 actually ride smoother than my previous 225/50/16 AVS Intermediates, despite the fact that the 17" wheels are ~5 lbs. heavier. This is on my Talon, not my SC, BTW. Any "Touring" tire will have softer sidewalls than a pure performance tire, with the tradeoff of less cornering ability. I have some H-rated 16" GT+4's on my SC, and it's like driving a waterbed. I could run over a herd of cattle and never feel it. Let us know what tires you have, and we'll help make some suggestions. Don't forget to mention any suspension mods.

Wheel size makes almost zero difference in ride quality. It's stiffness of sidewall, rubber compound, and tire size. that make it up. If you think about it. A rim is a rim.. It's a big round piece of metal. No matter how you slice it, it's still just a big round piece of metal 18" big, or 50" big. The thing is, usually with bigger rims, you get a smaller profile tire (sidewall). And tires with smaller sidewalls are usually categorized as a "ultra-performance" and only come in very aggressive sizes. If you went with an H, or a V speed rated tire, with a bigger sidewall, your car would ride much better, but as stated before, you are going to lose some performance because of give in the sidewall.

And yes, air pressure can make a huge difference. Your tires should be inflated to anywhere between 29-32 lbs of air. Depending on preference. Anything other than that will promote premature where in the tread and or shoulder of the tires.

ok here is excactly what it says on my tires:

Falken Tubeless

ZIEX ZE512

225/40ZR18 92W M+S

TREADWEAR 360

TRACTION A

TEMPATURE A

Can someone tell me a tire that will ride softer than these?I will write it down and buy and put those tires on today.I just got this car and its kinda embarresing when people go in my Lexus and they tell me the car looks nice but the ride sucks.Can someone please tell me excactly what to get thank you very much

Well because the tires are 225, the sidewall might be perpendicular to the wheel, so the shock turns into rough ride quality.

Anyways, 225/40/18 is has too small of a sidewall, your speedodometer might be off (it says that you're going faster than what you really are). You should be going 245/40/18

And check your tire pressures! Many people tend to use high pressures of 35+ psi because the tire volume is small.

Taken from: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/sprung-c.htm

Unsprung vs. sprung weight have no difference in their effect on acceleration or top speed. There is no “1-10” rule (or any other ratio) where 1 lb. removed from unsprung weight “has the same same effect as” a higher amount of sprung weight. Any benefit from weight reduction towards increased MPH or reduced ET will be exactly the same as if the weight were removed from the chassis. Weight removed from an unsprung component, such as a rear wheel or axle housing, may affect traction if the wheel is not under control during launch.

Lighter wheels & tires do have a very small additional benefit due to the lower amount of power required to rotate them (true of all rotating components), but this is not due to their classification as unsprung weight.

The unsprung vs. sprung weight percentage greatly affects wheel control, but its importance is almost entirely limited to un-even surfaces, or conditions where the attitude of the vehicle changes (such as through G forces). This is most important in off-road and pavement road racing, somewhat less important in dirt track, and has almost no value in drag racing. As the importance of suspension travel for proper wheel control diminishes, the value of reducing the unsprung proportion of the total car weight is lessened, and becomes zero if the suspension travel is zero.

Cars requiring precise control of wheel movement, where a low percentage of unsprung weight is an advantage, will have faster lap times and higher top speeds, not because unsprung weight reduction improves acceleration or top speed, but because traction is improved.

The unsprung vs. sprung weight percentage also affects ride comfort, since lighter springs are needed to maintain traction and control with lighter unsprung components (alloy wheels, independent rear suspension, alloy calipers, composite springs, in-board brakes, etc.), the chassis is less disturbed by wheel movement and road surface irregularities.

Like i said...unsprung -vs- sprung

Okay, so the weight of the wheels has an effect on comfort which makes sense, since it takes weight control for the suspension to control how the wheel reacts to the road, but that still proves that you could possibly have a better quality ride with 18's, 19's or 20's than you could with the factory setup. Taking suspension components into account, weight of wheels, and more shock distribution due to a larger sidewall, you could "possibly" have a better ride.

went to get tires today but most stores were closed and prices were way too much

anyway how does this sound? 245/40/18 V-rated

whats better v rated or h rated or something else .Whats the letter mean anyway anyone know?And where is a good site to order tires at a good price? thx

I had 245/45's on mine and loved them. Only problem was they would tend to pull you around the road because 245 is a bit wide for most grooves in the road.

This is something that I put together a while ago, with some general tire knowledge in it. You might want to give that a good once over. It explains tire speed rating.

A good place to buy tires is:

Discount Tire Direct

Tire Rack

went to get tires today but most stores were closed and prices were way too much

anyway how does this sound? 245/40/18 V-rated

whats better v rated or h rated or something else .Whats the letter mean anyway anyone know?And where is a good site to order tires at a good price?  thx

I'm confused. You're clueless about tires, and are obviously too lazy to spend 30 seconds on Google, let alone use the Tire FAQ's on this very website,

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=4538&

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34&

but you somehow feel as if you're qualified to determine that the tires that you saw today were overpriced, since you want to know where you can find them at a "good" price. What am I missing here?

Edit: Sadistic beat me to it.

I asked that question in this forum for advice that way i would know what to look for.Whats the point of going on google and getting a tire that would end up being a terrible ride.THAT IS WHY I ASKED HERE FIRST.So i could get opinions before I buy.And yes $230 a tire from Sears seam like alot to me.I just wanted to get some opinions before I buy moron.

Don't buy tires from Sears, or NTB. I worked there for 2 years and boycott them. They don't follow through with Road Hazard covereage, and will destroy your rims and not do anything about it. Not to mention purposely charging you for things you don't nessesarily need to meet numbers for the day.

If it's $230 at Sears, it would be $170 on-line. Sears is in a lot of financial trouble right now, and are on the brink of losing their Auto Centers and Nation Tire and Battery stores because of on-line sales. They haven't and will never beat on-line prices because they are too busy paying out 1,000 dollars an oil change for destroying people's engines due to the irresponsibility and poor quality of employees. That is why they stopped doing them to begin with.

As for my 245/45's They were in MY opinion, great. I demand a tire that allows me to have more road feel. If I wanted to "float" down the road, I wouldn't own a "Sport Coupe."

I just wanted to get some opinions before I buy moron.

Huh, and to think all of this time he was actually looking at buying a "moron." By his previous posts, I would have guessed that he was looking to be spoon-fed generic tire info that he could have found with a simple search. (With the exception of "ride quality" questions)

(shrug)