Buying 1998 Ls400 Or 1998 Gs300

Speedyz

Hi all,

I am looking to get either the 1998 GS300 or LS400. The GS300 cost $4800
while the LS400 cost $4273. The GS300 has 96kmiles while the LS400 has
137.5kmiles on the clock. I do not have any information yet on whether
regular servicing was done, timing belt replace, etc.

Which one will cost lesser in the long run mechanically in terms of
maintenance, chance of expensive parts breaking down, etc? What do I need to look out for when buying?

I am looking hopefully to keep the car for long without much problems.

Which one would you pick?

Appreciate all your input!

Thanks so much!

Welcome, John! :cheers:

The GS300 and LS400 are two different cars. Not even in the same league though they share the Lexus badge.

Primarily, the GS has a 6 cylinder engine while the LS has a V8.

No one can really tell you which one will cost less in the long run because no one knows how each was maintained and their current condition. In general, the LS will probably cost slightly more for scheduled maintenance because it is a V8. But that does not mean you should not buy it. If it were me, I would go for the better maintained vehicle and if all things were even, I would get the LS.

Welcome, John! :cheers:

The GS300 and LS400 are two different cars. Not even in the same league though they share the Lexus badge.

Primarily, the GS has a 6 cylinder engine while the LS has a V8.

No one can really tell you which one will cost less in the long run because no one knows how each was maintained and their current condition. In general, the LS will probably cost slightly more for scheduled maintenance because it is a V8. But that does not mean you should not buy it. If it were me, I would go for the better maintained vehicle and if all things were even, I would get the LS.

Thanks!

If they were equally maintained, which one would be more prone to have expensive repair problems?

I read that Gs300 has joint problems that would be cheaper to repair while the LS400 might has power steering, alternator and starter(which can take time to fix) problems. I would just to know what are the potential problems.

All things being equal on maintenance, the LS400 (not "LS300") will probably be more expensive to fix and maintain. But its a different beast, more refined, smoother, bigger, safer.

To Landar's point, get the better maintained car. Timing belts, in my opinion, being primary, along with regular oil / filter changes.

Should they both have good records, and drive well, I would still go for the LS, even given it's higher mileage. However, this is partly dependent on how I use my car, which is primarily on the interstate. On the interstate is where the LS really shines. Smooth, quiet, and powerful. I get to travel with my job, and in doing so, rent a lot of pretty nice cars. My 99's engine is just as smooth as the newer cars that I rent. A properly maintained LS engine should last a long, long time. Mine currently has 163k miles.

Suspension is a different story. I don't know what the GS suspension woes are like; however, in my LS, there are pops during cold weather (but not during warm weather - odd!). That's really annoying. In addition, the smooth ride is assisted by rubber bushings in the suspension linkages. As these bushings age, they become hard and crack, and the smooth ride deteriorates. If you plan on keeping the LS for a while, then plan on saving some money to get the suspension parts replaced. You'll be impressed at the ride improvement. Strut bars, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar bushings should be replaced when you can.

If you intend on driving your car on twisty roads, you might be a little more happy with the GS. The LS suspension is pretty soft, which gives it a beautifully smooth ride at high speed on the interstate, but on twisty roads, it's obviously not a sports car.

Micah

I of course would certainly pick the V8 powered LS over the 6er GS. When considering suspension, some (not all) came with air suspension which is a wonderful feature on new cars and a terrible feature on older cars. I imagine then GS drives fairly like the ES cars. Yeah, they are nice and they are comfortable but having a 4 cam, V8 is something everybody should experience at some point. The LS cars do have PS issues but not super expensive. My ES330 has run flawlessly for 100k miles. Tune up, timing belt, water pump, brakes etc done. Just put the winter tires on the ES330 the other day since my daughter is using the car in DC area.

I of course would certainly pick the V8 powered LS over the 6er GS. ME 2

lets be logical about it... LS Luxury Supreme vs GS good service.....

easy decision,,, like the man said: Which ever you get, you will be thrilled.

Best part of the LS is that the car is pretty much invisible to those who light brightly colored lights. On the other hand, my new IS attracts more attention from them than desired. The ES really IS invisible.