Tires,tires, Looking For A Great All Season Tire

There is no such thing as a "great" all-season tire, IMHO. Look at the past threads on this board. Tires have been discussed in detail on many occasions.

Personally, especially in the world of Lexus Rear Wheel Drive, you absolutely should have a set of good summer and/or all seasons for the good months, and a set of snows for the winter. The safe alternative is letting your GS spend the winters in your garage.

Of course, this is all opinion. One suggestion is head on over to Tirerack and take a look at the various tires available for your vehicle. Many tires have previous buyers' opinions and overall ratings for them.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are a fantastic tire but VERY expensive!! :( It's fair to say there is no such thing as a fantastic all season tire, but you can come close! I suggest the Michelin or consider a set of Toyo Proxes TPT's! There is more info in this section about them if you do a search. Welcome to the club & good luck! B)

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the Yokohama DB S2s for my GS300. 18x8.5F 18x9.5R wheels.

245/40/ZR18 F 275/35/ZR18 R tires.

I haven't driven enough miles to test traction, but they are EXTREMELY QUIET and give a very smooth, soft ride for 18s.

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to try Turanza LS-Z ....

I have four of them in my garage 235/45/17 ..... It was for my Audi ... but ... I sold them but i havent sold the tires yet .....

Overall .... The tires have preety good handling all around ....

Good Light snow traction too ...

Anyway ..... Check tirerack rating about it .....

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are a fantastic tire but VERY expensive!! :cheers:

I paid $150 a tire for 4 16" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for my LS430, mounted, balanced, new stems, etc. A local tire dealer matched the best price I could find on the internet.

How do you find them? I noticed they are just awesome in the rain, & taking hard corners is like the car is on rails with those shoes on!! B) Excellent treadwear for an ultra high performance tire to boot!

• 3 weeks later...

I considered putting them on my ES wws, they were on my short list but only came in "H" rated for my tire size & I needed "V" rated. I've heard good things about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/45 17". Good Tire for only the first 4000 miles and then it becomes rough after that. Not worth the $1,000 / set. There are better ones out there like the Pirelli NZero and the Continental ContiExtreme.

The conti is a nice looking tire & a very reasonable price.....I agree the Pilot Sport A/S were expensive, but to be honest with you, I put over 15,000 miles on them & never a problem at all.......best tire I ever had in the heavy rain too! B)

I wrote another post (somewhere?) on this before but to sum up my experience with the ContiExtreme: it is a very grippy tire wet and dry, good value, but for me was ultimately too loud and rough riding at higher speeds to buy again.

You might want to look at the Zexius? They have a nice tread design for light sport, and descent tread wear rating around 360. Its a Japanese tire sold at Les Schwab for $88 a piece, and I paid a little more for the siping- even though I only use them for summer (225/55/16). Worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that the Falken 512's are excellent as well. Cheap price with outstanding performance (first overall in a recent major consumer magazine test of 18 high performance tires). Too bad they have very few dealers for after sale service :(