'auto' Window Control Problem

A minor but annoying problem is plaguing me lately in my 2001 ES300: The 'AUTO' window switch for the driver window is not working correctly. What I mean is, if I press the button down all the way, the window will just slide down in manual fashion, not in the automatic way as it's supposed to be. Same thing if I close the window, the 'AUTO' switch won't work like it should. Basically, the driver window has stopped sliding up/down automatically. As a note of reference, all the other window switches, including on the other 3 doors, work fine.

My diagnosis on this issue is that something is not making contact underneath the driver 'AUTO' window switch, or perhaps there is corrosion in the electrical contacts somewhere. How do I go about accessing the window switch in my '01 ES? There is evidently a screw located behind the inner door handle that I'll probably have to remove first, but I'm not sure what comes after that. It sounds like I need to take the entire door panel off just to get to the window switch, correct? Please help me out any way you can, especially from those who had experience.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: I ended up replacing the entire master window switch assy at the same time with my 90K service two months ago. The part costed me $390.00! Another glorious example of the major expense of Lexus original factory parts :rolleyes: <_<