Newbie Needs Help!

Y2KF250PSD

Hello All!! I've never posted on this forum, normally posting on the Ford Diesel Forums.

Here's my dilema. It seems my wife has misplaced one of the keys to her '98 LS400. Dealer wants $240 for a replacement + $40 to program it. Including tax, over $300!! :blink:

Do I have any other options??

Thanks!

Chuck

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I do still have one key but these keys are the type that have the doorlock/alarm/trunk functions built into the head of the key. I didn't really think a locksmith would stock anything like that. Addiitionally, I understand there's a chip within the key that must be programmed by the dealer? At least that's what the stealer told me.......

Thanks!

Chuck

Yep, they do have a chip that must be programmed. This locksmith I have dealt with, knows how to reprogram/setup the chips. I saw him cut and program a key for a GM (think it may have been a Yukon) and there are a series of steps he had to follow...took him about 40 mins in all. Call around, worse case you end up going the dealer route. Good luck!

• 8 months later...