Factory Jack "melt Down"

landar

Picked up a bolt in my RR tire the other day at work and had to change it using the Lexus supplied jack in the trunk. Well, the jack worked at first, then started to twist and crumple on me. I had all five lug nuts out and believe me, when I saw that jack begin to melt, I scrambled to get at least two nuts back on. Just in time.

A friend of mine was there who also has a Lexus and he got his factory jack out. It worked fine. So, using his, we were able to get the spare installed.

Now, I was kinda po'd at the cheapy Lexus jack, so I stopped into my local Lexus dealer to complain. I thought they would just blow me off...but low and behold...they agreed that the jack was defective and ordered me a new one, free of charge.

That was a very nice surprise, indeed. Props to Lexus for replacing my 12 yr old jack (although it was the first time it was used).

post-41820-0-01316300-1416063964_thumb.j

I wonder if your jack was the early version for the LS430 which was replaced by a revised jack in November, 2001 - I posted the part numbers for the original and revised jacks in this old Club Lexus thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/538520-jack-failure.html

I wonder if your jack was the early version for the LS430 which was replaced by a revised jack in November, 2001 - I posted the part numbers for the original and revised jacks in this old Club Lexus thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/538520-jack-failure.html

It well may have been, Jim. I wish I had tried to find a model number on the jack but when the dealer agreed to replace it for free (and no hassles whatsoever), I just handed it over. Seeing that my car, a 2002 that was built in 2001, I would bet it was the earlier version. Good to know about the version rev, thanks!