Again - Reliability No. 1 !

pj8708

In this months "Consumer Reports", is this years results of their annual "Road Report". Their survey included 1,078,364 automobiles of 28 manufacturers and their makes and models.

Once AGAIN, Lexus placed No. 1 in overall reliability. This covers 10 Lexus models.

Of the remainder, I was shocked at the results of Toyota's major luxury competitors. ....

Mercedes was 5th from the bottom !

BMW, out of 28, was barely in the middle.

Some of our members have real heart burn about "Consumer Reports". They have their reasons. However in a sample size this big its pretty obvious you could easily allow for incorrect data.

Its good to know your decison to be part of the Lexus family was a good one.

Paul

Well done Lexus, and very consistent too.

Mercedes would have done better except 2 models tanked. CR mentioned something about new CLA and S class dragging down averages. You would think they would learn how to do a first year product launch properly, they've done it before. Audi has certainly improved, not so with BMW.

I wasn't that surprised by MB or BMW. The dealer for those brands sits right across the street from my Lexus dealer. It's amazing how many people come in to the Lexus dealer talking about how unreliable their cars are, and how bad the service is.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, my Mercedes dealership is down street about a block from Lexus dealership. Therefore the service at my Mercedes dealership is excellent, just like the Lexus dealership. The high quality Lexus customer service has forced the nearby Mercedes dealership to deliver same level of service, and it's working.

I use both dealerships. In the case of the Lexus dealership I continue to use them even though my car is out of warranty. In the case of the Benz, I will continue to use dealership as long as the warranty is in effect. I have access to an excellent independent Mercedes shop for service once the warranty expires.

When I bought my last car, the second (back up) sales closer asks me about the extended warranty for some ridiculous amount. I looked at him with a blank look and said, if you wanted to sell warranties, perhaps you should sell Fords. Offered him a reasonable $300 and he turned me down. When you have friends that are BMW mechanics and they drive a Toyota, kind of tells you something.

• Like 1

^ My independent certified master tech Mercedes guy keeps a Scion Xb at his shop for running around town, lol....

Most of the later model Mercedes (specifically the C's and E's that most people buy in droves) are reasonably reliable today. Although CR did point out the brand new CLA and S class did drag down the averages, so again Mercedes forgot how to do new product lauches properly. He does fear the AMG cars because of the scary parts costs and so-so relability, and his mother owns one.