How Do You Like Your 430 Compared To A Ls400?

turboomni

I presently own a 1997 LS 400. She has about 200,000 miles and is showing symptoms of aging. I still love the car but it has an input shaft seal in the tranny I believe is leaking which is slow but there and an exhaust leak before the cat I believe that shows a code for the cats. Both I feel can be dealt with. I drove today a 2002 LS 430 with 75,000 miles on it and it was very nice . Just wondering if any of you have owned both the LS 400 and a 430 if you could comment. I always wished I could have bought a 99 or 2000 LS 400 for the small HP increase and the 5 speed auto. Any comments would be great.

I had a 1999 LS400 for about 8 years, and it was the best car I have ever owned. I traded it in this year (240,000 miles) for an 2004 LS430 because the A/C finally went kaput - everything else was still working just dandy - $1k trade-in. (I had spent $2k on A/C repairs and it still wouldn't work, so I gave up at the beginning of the Baton Rouge summer.) The LS430 is nicer, has more whistles and bells, and seems to drive better than the LS400 ... might be the tires, might be the lower mileage (34,000 miles). The new one has the NAV option, and I had the satellite radio retro-fitted. From what I've read on this site, the tires reportedly have a LOT to do with the quality of the ride; I do have the super-duper Michelin-X tires that are considered the best for this model vehicle. The only thing I don't like is the lack of the ability for physical key-entry to the vehicle. Entry only by the grace of batteries is a liability, in my opinion. One curious thing; the LS400 had LCD dash display and when wearing polarized sun glasses I could not read the display. I changed prescription sun glasses to non-polarized amber and everything was just dandy with the LS400 display. Now I have an LS430 and the display is amber LED and I can't see the dash display again! :-)

I owned a 98 LS400 before buying my current '02 LS430. The 430 is hands down (IMO) a better vehicle in most aspects, although many things are similar. The LS400 body style is better (again, IMO). The 430 is probably the best LS every made although I have never owned a 460. I have owned my 430 for over 4 years and it still feels like a new car to me every time I get in. Just an awesome vehicle. Besides the looks, I much prefer the LS430 over the LS400..smoother ride(suspension changes), more standard refinements(heated seats!)

• 2 weeks later...

I changed from a '93 LS400 to a 2004 LS430 last summer due to difficulties getting the parts I needed. The LS430 is a much better car in every way. The technology is just amazing compared to my LS400. Keyless entry is by far my favorite. Just walk up to the car with your keys in your pocket and the doors will unlock automatically.

Just take a look at wikipedia to see what they have added.

The LS430 is more powerful but the gas consumption is similar of possibly even slightly better.

Having said that, I still think the older models look better.

EDIT: Typo, LS400 -> LS430

• 3 months later...

The reason the older ones look better is that is when auto manufactures knew how to make a proper roof, with out those horrible pinch weld seams that everyone uses now, that have plastic or rubber strips to fill the trench. or the goofy looking blister roofs ie the large radius deal . Way too much monkey see monkey do in the auto manufacturing business. It seems on outfit does something they all copy it. I think Lexus should do something different and make a 25 year anniversary edition of the LS400 make it look just like a gen 1, with all the options offered now days.