Left Me Stranded

Driving from Houston to Dallas on Wednesday and got stranded about 20 miles N of Huntsville TX. In an area where cell phone reception was moderate at best, I was on the side of the highway wondering what I did to deserve this. My completely rebuilt and/or restored "93 ES300 told me "you missed a spot", and let me down. Driving along at about 75 MPH and listening to a CD that puts a person in the "zone", the car started to loose power and all of a sudden...white smoke from under the hood, behind the car, and from the dashboard! Pulled over in the middle of BFE with smoke bellowing from all orafices. Finally got my cell phone to get a signal and called AAA. An hour later, a 2 ton wrecker shows up and saves the day. Had him take me and my wounded car all the way to Dallas (180 miles) since no one within 40 miles of our breakdown had any knowledge of Lexus or Toyota engines. $400 later, I have a Lexus that doesn't run. Does this sound like a "head gasket" to anyone? (white smoke) If so, has anyone experienced this nightmare and what was the cost to fix? Thanks!

I was once stranded for 3 days in rural southwest Texas when my rental car broke down. Not fun. If the head gasket blew then there should be coolant in the engine oil and vice versa. And the coolant level should be low. Usually the temperature gauge is reading higher than normal when the HG busts. Also, the "smoke" you saw should have looked steamy like a car exhaust normally does in the morning when the motor is warming up.

If the smoke did not look steamy then the problem sounds more like a massive oil leak (engine oil, transmission oil or power steering fluid) Are any of these fluid levels really low now? Will the engine even spin when you try to start it?

Oil being ruptured is usally black when it gets burned from an exhuast manifold.

Coolant is usually white when it also does. But to lose power woud indicate an internal leak but it wouldn't smoke under the hood. What did it smell like burned rubber ,sweet smelling ? What did the condition of the engine look like after the smoke cleared? Does the car start at all?

Level of oil,coolant ,tranny?

Try to fill in all the blanks and we might be able to help you track it down a bit.

This won't help you much now, but you've just reinforced my choice to use the AAA Plus service for an extra few bucks a year. Pays for 100 miles of towing, with any excess at $2/mile. That would have put you back only $160 instead of $360.

Sorry to hear about the situation. You know, many years ago I had a coolant hose come off while I was driving down the highway; no loss of power, but otherwise the same "white smoke everywhere" look to the situation.

"This won't help you much now, but you've just reinforced my choice to use the AAA Plus service for an extra few bucks a year. Pays for 100 miles of towing, with any excess at $2/mile. That would have put you back only $160 instead of $360"

Your so right. I joined AAA on the side of the road so they would come pick me up. I didn't have the option at that time to get the other deal. I saved about $75.00 joining then but paid that with the fee to join. You have to be a member for a few months before you get the discount you mentioned. Oh well, hopefully I won't have to use it any time soon. :D

Also, everyone who replied to this with advice....thank you! My mechanic, who's actually on my payroll, will look at it Friday to give me the bad news. Oh well, since I own the garage, I can get the parts at wholesale cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update and need some opinions....I have decided to replace the bad engine with one of those that come from Japan with 30K to 40K miles on them. I have the engine being delivered Friday. Has anyone here done this before, and if so, what issues did you run in to? My mechanic is going to do the labor, but I don't think he's put in one of these "imported engines" before. Any advice will be appreciated! :cries:

Glen

there will be differences for the engine i have seen egr changes and other minor things

best bet is to keep the stock manifold and sensors and swap over just the block

while you are at it change the main seals and everyother gasket make sure you get the 3.0 not the 2.5

Glen,

Who did the engine work? What did they replaced? This is a 3VZ engine. As a matter of fact, We are swap out an engine on the ES300 right now. Give me a call if you need anything. We are located in the garland area.

JPI

Jpi, no ones done the actual engine exchange yet. I've been told I need to buy all the seals associated with the install and looking to order those now. Any ideas on what to look for as problems go? Thanks!! :chairshot:I'll give you a call on monday...thanks!

You need to pop the valve cover off and check to see what is the condition. Ask if they run a compression test. It would be wise to change all the seals when the engine is out.

JPI