Replacing Alternator & Ps Pump - How Difficult?

VGR

My '91 LS400 with 101,200 miles has the leaking power steering pump ruined the alternator syndrome. So I need to replace the alternator, plus fix whatever is leaking in the PS system.

To replace the alternator, what components must come off?? The factory manual mentions the

serpentine belt, fan pulley and fluid coupling must come off. Is that all? How about engine under covers, radiator shroud and radiator? Anything else? Do you reach the alternator from above or from under the car?

Finally, what are the typical fluid leakage points in the 1st generation LS400 PS system? The archives mention a pressure switch leakage point. Any other leakage points? Are special tools required to remove the PS Pump and to disconnect the hydraulic hoses? Should the whole pump be rebuilt to make sure it doesn't leak again and ruin another $300 alternator? If so, do Lexus dealers sell PS pump rebuild kits?

I just had my alternator rebuilt last week. They removed, rebuilt and replaced it for only $110. All bearings, brushes and internal parts were replaced with new as i stood and watched the complete rebuild. I have used this shop for 20 years for all different kinds of cars. I have all ways been very pleased with their work. They removed it from bottom with only the belt being removed.

I for got to say also it only took about 15 mins. for them to remove and replace.

Thanks, mapman. That is encouraging to hear. Now all I need to do is sort through the various ways the power steering system could leak and decide whether rebuilding or replacing the pump is necessary or whether just a simple hose or switch needs to be replaced. The power steering

system has been working flawlessly and is not making any noise so the pump is not likely badly worn. It's just seeping fluid from someplace.