Help: Axle Shaft Boots Leaking Grease...

Shyameetu

Hi there,

The other day I was under my 91 LS inspecting frame rust and noticed off white type semi solid fluid accumulated in a spinning fashion over axle shaft boots, under the body. I checked boots and there wasn't any cracks, so assumed grease is leaking from joints. I have no issue like clicking or grinding noise other than car vibrates at 70mph on the clock. I believe that is due to my tire and alignment issue. which is due in near future though. Chime in if you think axle shaft could be culprit for vibration at higher speed.

Since, I didn't find any issue with axles operations, I decide to repack axles with new boots. I received boots with grease pack with it and want to know the procedure to remove axle shaft from the LS. I searched everywhere and on this forum, but there is no detail about it. I checked on TIS website but couldn't find anything more then schematics of differential assembly.

I would appreciate if someone sheds some light on this grey area of maintenance.

Thanks in advance...

Yes CV shafts can cause vibration. Any CV I have been around uses a black moly grease. Not sure what Lexus uses. If you are repacking them, you will need to completely take them apart and clean them real well. Some greases don't mix well together. If there is any play they should be replaced.

• Like 1

Yes CV shafts can cause vibration. Any CV I have been around uses a black moly grease.

Hey Bob,

First of all thanks for your valuable insight. Can you please explain what to look for in axle shaft to confirm anomaly. I mean some sort of indication to pay attention when I completely remove half shaft from car and disassemble.

Matter fact, I received black moly grease with each boot I have ordered. I am going to use the same one.

Moreover! I am looking for removal instruction for axle.

Thanks!

there is help online for this: DRIVELINE, U-JOINT & CV AXLES REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES FOR 1991 LEXUS LS400 AUTOMOBILES

Includes CV axle, universal joint, and driveline replacement, for domestic and imported 1991 Lexus LS400 cars and light trucks from 1990+.

CV AXLE SHAFT, Replace

Vehicle: 1991 Lexus LS400 4.0 V8 GAS

• Raise and support vehicle, then remove wheel and tire assemblies.
  • Remove cotter pin, locknut cap and locknut, Fig. .
  • When removing right side driveshaft, it will be necessary to remove the O-ring style exhaust hangers and support tail pipe with wire.
  • On models with air suspension, disconnect height control sensor and remove both mounting bolts, then support with wire,Fig. .
  • On all models, place alignment marks on driveshaft and side gear shaft with a marking pencil, Fig. ...
  • CLICK HERE TO GET FULL ACCESS TO 1991 LEXUS LS400 DRIVELINE, U-JOINT & CV AXLES REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES

my personal feelings are if you cant see (mechanical ability) what to do to remove the shaft, dont.