A Good Ending ....

pachanga

A SUV pulled out in front of my wife as she was driving her 1998 LS400 on a busy road. I have always told her to look for a way out in such a case - don't just panic or slam on the brakes but to look for an escape route. She actually did very well to minimize the impact but was not completely able to avoid contact. In the end - the SUV turned in front of her and across in front of her into the medium where she tagged the front wheel of the truck with her right corner of the passenger fender and headlight. The airbags did not deploy and the damage was manageable. Here is a photo of the damage and a photo of the car after repair. The total cost was $4300 - and the other driver was at fault so we did not have spend a dime. The car was repaired by a Lexus certified body shop and I can honestly say... you cannot tell that the car was damaged - other than the new headlight (which was $720) when you compare the original left side headlight to it. All parts were new Lexus parts - no aftermarket parts were used.

post-158252-0-87869400-1415292438_thumb.

post-158252-0-66976100-1415292572_thumb.

• Like 1

If a cars body is to be damaged, the best place is in the front sheet metal. It can all be replaced by removing bolts and screws. The back end is the worse, only way to replace panels there is to cut and weld and very hard to make it look original.

• Like 1

yea... that topic of ''so...can we get a new headlight for the other side?" has already come up a couple of times. I have cleaned the original headlight, buffed the lens, etc... but leave it to my wife to notice that it still is not as clear as the new one. I suppose my comment of .."well maybe you could have an accident on the left side" was not exactly the right thing to say... but... I suppose somewhere somehow ...I will end up buying a new one for the left side.

The back end is the worse, only way to replace panels there is to cut and weld and very hard to make it look original.

I disagree. I had both a 1990 and 2000 LS400 hit hard in the rear requiring straightening, rear fender, trunk lid, tail lights, bumper beam and bumper cover. Both cars came out looking and driving like new and I drove each of them another four years or so before I selling them. The 1990 was repaired by a body shop that mostly repairs Mercedes, Porsche and Ferrari and the 2000 was repaired by a body shop owned by the local Lexus dealer.

yea... that topic of ''so...can we get a new headlight for the other side?" has already come up a couple of times. I have cleaned the original headlight, buffed the lens, etc... but leave it to my wife to notice that it still is not as clear as the new one. I suppose my comment of .."well maybe you could have an accident on the left side" was not exactly the right thing to say... but... I suppose somewhere somehow ...I will end up buying a new one for the left side.

Did you use a headlight lens restoration kit? My favorite is the $25 Sylvania kit - involves sanding, cleaning and then applying a lacquer-like sealing coat.

The back end is the worse, only way to replace panels there is to cut and weld and very hard to make it look original.

I disagree. I had both a 1990 and 2000 LS400 hit hard in the rear requiring straightening, rear fender, trunk lid, tail lights, bumper beam and bumper cover. Both cars came out looking and driving like new and I drove each of them another four years or so before I selling them. The 1990 was repaired by a body shop that mostly repairs Mercedes, Porsche and Ferrari and the 2000 was repaired by a body shop owned by the local Lexus dealer.

I've done it before, have you? Sure a body shop can fix anything. No matter what the whole body is not stock with a hit to the rear panels. Front fenders and hood are just a bolt on deal, no bodyshop needed. Disagree or not my original statement is correct.

well... all arguments aside... I was just really happy that the guy who did the repair work - was able to match and blend the new paint into the rest of the car, make sure all seams aligned perfectly and repair the car to the point where you cannot tell the fender and bumper were replaced. Now yes... inner fender liner is new and the headlight is new - but the guy who replaced the sheet metal, and painted it - well he gets my admiration. Even the pinstripes are perfect. And ... in the last week - I asked the guy to see if he could make the left headlight look good too and he did it gratis.... now - unless you really get close - it looks awesome. Both headlights sparkle. My wife is happy. Which makes me relaxed.

Certainly didn't expect all that to come up but hey e-gas, let's just say from prior experience and many wrenches, I'll toss a chip in your direction. Opinions are just that but you sure have you right to them.

And as far as the number of posts earning some type of respect?

Never heard of such a rule. Respect is based on knowledge, not an accumulation of posts. Posts show dedication to Lexus which is something we all share. Say some smart stuff, cha-Ching, respect.

• Like 1

I am happy that the pachanga family is safe and unharmed and thanks for the report on the outcome of repairs too.

I agree with vbdenny too, the post count doesn't earn respect, respect is based on knowledge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh...like happy endings and seeing these cars in nice shape. :) Can be pretty challenging when the paint isn't well cared for and the fresh side is all nice and shiny and other parts like bumper or roof are dulled.

And as far as the number of posts earning some type of respect?

Never heard of such a rule. Respect is based on knowledge, not an accumulation of posts. Posts show dedication to Lexus which is something we all share. Say some smart stuff, cha-Ching, respect.

well it is not a rule, just a bad choice of words, maybe "consideration" would have been better... when you are 80+ someone may be judging your words also.... I am sure I am not much help anymore, and should just read and be quiet....

while I am here, I have listed my black LS on craigslist, we are going to a one car family, and Judy's is a better LS than mine, neither of us drive much anymore and with 243k on mine I can feel/hear some looseness in my suspension and dont want to go to the expense of fixing it, knowing I wont get to enjoy it much, already cant drive at night anymore... old body's are a drag ..... but I have enjoyed both of these forums.. I look forward to them.. cheers folks.

SOLD, a dealer bought it..

Selling cars is something I usually find difficult. Not sure how or why people become emotionally attached to a vehicle but it happens. Good luck with the step down to one car, I know it is not an easy choice.

Happy to be here. :)

Billy, after all those LS's only one? :o ;) You've had some very nice cars to drive and I can understand the change. The next owner will be pleased with all your care into it.