Gs 300 In The Snow?

well, the honest opinion is that the car is not going anyware in the snow and

is to be left in the garage if snow is in the forecast.snow tires help about

10-15 percent at best. lets face it the car was ment for the warm weather and performes awesome in every aspect...opinion=depending on your average snowfall per year, this is the best all around sport sedan on the market

Well, I have a GS4 and I live in Colorado Springs which is higher than Denver in altitude and I drive mine year round. I don't try to go out if I don't have too. But If i'm at work or out and get caught in the snow, I have no worries about getting back home. Now Ice is a different story, but few cars handle well on ice anyways. I also used my Continental Conti's this whole winter as well and I go snowboarding on a regular basis. I've had many Lexus's in different years and models, this is the best Lexus I've driven in the snow yet. But again, I avoid it all costs, road rash.

KJ

• 2 weeks later...

I live in New England and have an '01 GS300. If you're in areas that get shoveled reasonably well (around the city areas) and don't have to deal with un-shoveled roads/driveways too much you should be okay with some snow tires. I made it through last winter without any but I really wouldn't recommend it and won't try it again this year. It's pretty easy to get stuck if you have to park in a snowed in parking space though (I had that several times in NYC).

Basically - a GS without snow tires won't be your friend if you're in 2 or more inches of snow in my opinion. Use snow mode on the ETC!

I remeber when every car was RWD and we even had studded snow tires. (I think I just showed my age. :blushing: )

RWD cars + snow = a set of good snow tires all round from Dec to March for NE.

The snowtires today are exceptional and reasonably priced.

steviej

I would agree with that 100%, steviej. But in my experience, Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW are all mediocore in the snow. The GS300 I have in PA is particularly bad on inclines owing to it's version of VSC/Traction Control. As there is no mechanical limited slip differential, the computer will stop BOTH drive wheels from spinning if it's slipery enough.

I have experienced this with excellent Finnish-made ice racing winter tires. If the system would allow perhaps 10-20% slippage of both drive wheels and act like a "real" limited slip, it would do a heck of a lot better in the snow. Just my $.02 of course. :cheers:

My previous 1993 BMW 325i, non limited slip would slide all over the place, but at least one wheel would keep turning. Usually, getting me up the hill sideways...not without sweaty palms and a high pulse rate by the time I got to the top. :wacko:

The ole' Benz, 1994 C280. God god man, how do they sell these in Germany where it snows like crazy? Same goes for the mid-late 90's S and E class.

Sidenote: This past winter I was at the local "50 miles away" Mercedes dealer. I asked the one person I could find inside the showroom, "where are all the salespeople?" He replied, "oh, they're all outside pushing the cars around so the plow can clean the lot. You know they don't move under their own power in the snow."

That pretty much says it all!