Disappointing Am Radio Reception

youngdoog

The AM radio reception on my 94LS is disappointing, to say the least. Since I live 13 miles from downtown Las Vegas, it would seem that it should be better. I actually lose some local stations rounding corners. At night, it is even worse, and I can only listen to the 50K watt stations. Everything else on the stock radio works fine-FM seems OK. I did notice that the previous owner had the antenna mast replaced at 70K miles-Could the beloved dealer have messed it up? The mast would stick occasionally when I got the car-a little grease, and it works fine now.

In comparison, the cheapo radio in my Honda trade-in never had any of these concerns driving around the same areas.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

AM is not good on these cars!!!!!!

Something you do need to know is that the antenna will extend 8" longer when you switch from FM to AM; this to approximate 1/4 wave lengths for reception purposes?.

If yours is not extending, it would degrade reception on AM.

I have found the main issue with bad AM reception is the cable from the radio not connected to the antenna. I just tried it, which is to remove the cable from the antenna and it really depletes AM radio reception.

Try that and see what happens.

If that does not help, then try the cable to radio connection -- it is definately related to the cable though.

good hunting :D

Are you saying that the antenna-cable connection might have corrosion and by disconnecting it and reconnecting then the reception is better???

Think I would definitely concur that without the antenna connected you won't get AM; FM either for that matter.

But, to clean the cable-radio connection the dash 'might have to come out' !!!!!! That would be tough.

Haven't checked to see if it has a screw-on connection like some euro systems have or if it is a 1940's motorola connection [like most].

Maybe my 91 is just special or something like that. :D

But I was having the same issues with my system after I put it together. I dreadded it, but I checked and that was the problem. The antenna cable had slipped out of the connection hole on the antenna assembly. I pushed it back in and that solved the problem.

That is an easy thing to try, unlike the connection at the radio itself -- so open the trunk, pull the carpetting back and have a look-see. If all is well there then you have more trouble than I am capable of helping you with -- sorry to say.

good hunting

Hey, Tansupplyman, I watched my antenna when I switched back and forth between AM and FM, and there was no change in antenna height. It stayed the same height until I shut the radio off. Are you sure it changes height? If so, then this antenna, which was completely changed less than 2 years ago, is malfuctioning again.

really, all I know is that mine does;

you need to get other responses on this--

but get a bare wire and tape it to your antenna when it is up--make it 8" longer than what it is now-----I am assuming that yours will only go to 29 1/2" which is the FM. See if that makes a difference.

here is how it works: when you turn the switch on and the radio is on and is on FM, the antenna will go all the way up then will back down to the FM length. If you then hit AM, it will go all the way out.

Radio shack use to carry a RF amp that went between the radio and the antenna{assuming you have motorola connecters}; you might could put in the trunk. If you get and try--be sure and keep the receipt--it might not work.

keep in mind that my AM ain't no good either. not like my truck and other things.

When I switched out my Pioneer headunit and installed the Nakamichi headunit in my '92 LS400 their were two (2) antenna cables going into both of the headunits. One for AM and the other for FM. Believe the system Lexus uses is called "diversity" antenna. I also noticed that the antenna will extend to different heights according to the AM/FM signal received. As the others suggested check the connections, starting with the trunk. I live in the metro Boston area and have no problem with AM reception in my LS400.

I replaced my aftermarket radio with a Pioneer radio system. I noticed there are two holes where the antenna should go to. The larger hole is for the main antenna. Then, according to a website, there is also a sub antenna hole. I can't find any cable or wire that plugs into this hole. What is this sub antenna hole used for? I'm just curious.

Please see image

post-4-1081646715.jpg

It is entirely possible the cables are bad. also the connectors could be bad as well. From my knowledge, the Pioneers and the Nakamichis have a really long range. I used to be able to pick up some Richmond channels from MD, especially AM.

All Pioneers 91+ came with a self-sensing/self-adjusting stereo and antenna.

Youngdoog, try adjusting between different channels across the band; it should pick up one long-range channel.

I think, if you reset the radio, the stereo self-tests itself. Unfortunately, my aftermarket stereo does that once I start the car, and it doesn't self-adjust like the old pioneer.

Before playing with the cables, I checked out the antenna following the advice of the tansupply guy. What I found was that the antenna only opened up about half-way up-at best. It only got to about 15" high. I messed with it for an hour, and came to the conclusion that it was twisted, or bent, or whatever. Unfixable. I was lucky to be able to get it back to its original position. I'll live with weak AM radio.

What really aggravates me is that the original owner paid to have the mast motor assembly changed 2 years ago-on the recommendation of Fletcher Jones Lexus of Las Vegas-the only Lexus dealer for 300 miles or so. It cost a bundle, but I'm thinking that they did not change the antenna, which might have been the actual source of the problem. Since I've already posted a query about a dirty cabin air filter that the original owner also paid a bunch to have replaced-and which is not in the A/C plenum, I'm wondering if he was victimized by FJ Lexus again.

Note that I EMail these thoughts to the Fletcher Jones Service Department. We have a great forum here, and it's almost comforting to think that they might wonder if their questionable practices are under scrutiny. Nah, they could care less.

Thanks, TanS and the rest.

Interesting. When I read this I realized that I have never used the AM band in the car. I kind of forgot they still have AM stations. Not must use for them as they are mostly all people talking, worrying, and complaining. I also remember they are all staticy and fade in and out. I'll try it sometime and see if it works. Having an AM band to me is about the same as having a cassete player.

youngdoog, maybe you can just replace tha antanna mast alone. That might fix your problem if it is the mast.

just a thought.

Hey denny, I use AM radio for local weather and traffic... it is priceless for those reasons. I agree on the whining and complaining stuff, but usually weather and traffica are on the money as they update it every 10 minutes or so and with the advent of cell phones and those cameras they have on the freeways now a days, it is usually right on.

I don't listen constantly like some people -- just on and off when I get into the vehicle in the am (no pun intended) and the FM -- oops, I meant PM. :D