So, my 2004 Lexus RX330 has 111,000 miles, and shortly after getting a routine oil change + brake pads replaced, the VSC light and check engine light came on, followed by the car shifting very hard between 2nd and 3rd gear. By the time I got home, the car was stuck in 2nd, and the transmission blown. :(( Apparently I need a completely new transmission. Is this common at this point for this vehicle??? Is it worth repairing and continuing to drive the vehicle?

As a total side note, I recently began taking it to a non-dealer mechanic for repairs (i.e. oil change, timing belt replacement). Is there any complications that would have stemmed from his oil change / brake replacement that could have caused this, or is this standard for this car around 111,000 miles...??

Thank you for any tips, help, advise you all may have. I'm a newbie to this forum, and definitely could use some help! :)

Thank you,

J

Neya,

I own the same car 2 wheel drive type and have 188000 miles and climb up and down 1000 ft grade every day! No tranny problems! Get a 2nd opinion from an independent shop that has a good reputation and that specializes in Lexus!

I think at 110K miles there is 100k left to go as a minimum! These were assembled in Japan!

Thanks bayray for the tip -- the transmission is definitely out based on how it's (not) driving, but I think you may be right on the second opinion...

Hi, Neya,

If your transmission doesn't switch - his may not necessarily require the whole transmission changed. Maybe it was electrical issue, maybe mechanical - no one can judge from your explanation. Why do you believe you need to change it, give us some more reasons. No one could help you here any better unless you explain more (e.g. explanations given by a mechanic)

By the way, have your checked the fuses?