I Heard Knock When I Push The Brake

Zdeno

Now I looking for some forum about brakes but anywhere isn´t what I need to know. I noticed when back a car from carport in the morning and push the brake I heard some KNOCK like never before. Then I drove to work and didn´t hear the knock till I back a car from parking place afternoon. Sound like something is at ease. When I push the brake when backing up - KNOCK and then go front and push the brake - KNOCK again. It does just one time in one direction I mean when I back a car I can hear the knock just from first push. When I still backing and pushing the brake again and again there is no noise. Only first time in each direction. Does anybody have any advice ? THank you

Not sure. Are you sure it's not your ABS that's kicking back? It could be a bad strut mount or bad strut, metal-metal clicking. Try duplicating the sound by taking the wheel off, put it in drive, and turn the steering wheel-extreme.

See if it works.

It is normal .You probably never noticed before as you now have the windows open in the warmer weather.

It is the clips on the rear pads clicking when the pads move in them as it is a floating caliper design.

You need to remove a caliper and check the shims. only 2 bolts hold on--use a 17mm(open) and a 14mm(whatever)--you are removing the 14mm bolt, not the one with the rubber on it.

Make sure that the shims [stainless steel] are bent such as to hold the pad extensions tight. You could use pliers to bend these spring tabs out to hold the pad tighter.

If you are missing one shim, tough ****; since you will have to buy the whole 'store'--the whole set--not too cheap either.

yeah, i had to do this too coz i had shims missing and i had this cluning noise and squeaking. i replaced pads as well since it was cheaper to get pads and shims then just shims.

Our 97 LS400 had a heavy knock under brakes forwards and backwards and over speed bumps.Turned out to be radius arm bushes and engine mounts.

this is different type of knok we are talking about:) its more like a bang

Thanks, shims were missing. I didn´t heard thet noise after I bent them. Thanks again.

I noticed that right rear caliper is wet but I didn´t find from where the fluid coming. I checked the tank and it doesn´t look like the fluid missing :(

It always helps to be as specific as possible when asking for free advice to help narrow down the possibilities.

It is possible there are worn transmission parts but more than likely it is just worn engine mounts.

What Trany parts do you meant ?

I post the forum topic yesterday that I changed the engine mounts on Sunday and trany mounts 2 weeks ago.

I tried to be as specific as possible when I asked for FREE advice. When I should be american with good English languange I should to specific better but I´m Just student from Europe and using the dictionary to "good" specific what I need to know so it is as is, sorry.

dont worry, you were clear and i got what you meant and i did tell you what was the exact problem:) ur english is vert good so dont worry bout it.

Ok thanks VMF,

may I ask you how your Trany shift ? Do you feel to much the shift ? I mean if you feel the jerk or if is it continuously without jerk ? Is possible to reduce the jerk somehow ? I changed the mounts - car runs much better but there is still some jerk when the strany shift expecialy 1-2-3 rate

Oh men, I have my 1991 LS 168K for about 6 month and every month I have to do anything on this car I hope it will finish one day :) I know it is not new car :) Otherwise when I come back home I will open repare shot :D

Thank you !

• 2 months later...

My 98 developed a severe "clunk" when hitting the brakes (but not often) coming from right front....sounds like it could be the same problem.

Are you actually talking about the spring clips on the back of the pads? Not sure if shims are missing how you can bend them....

Thanks in advance.