Instrument cluster clock/climate control

bobsvilla

Hi all...

I had Jim Walker repair my custer for me and everything works GREAT!!!

Thanks Jim!!!!

Doing business with Jim was great. He was friendly and very quick on returning emails.

I paid Jim through his ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

The doument was good.

A couple of things I ran into when trying to get the cluster out that is not really pointed out in the document.

1. When you first take the 3 screws off in the first step, on a 1993 LS 400 lexus there are 3 snaps on the bottom. Two are to the left of the stearing column and one to the far

right on the stear column. You need to PULL THEM straight out towards you. This is a pain!!!

2. The connectors are a PITA. Each connector has to be disconnected by pushing in a tab button that will release them. Well if you do not have long finger nails, (my are short to keep me from biting them :) ) then it really hard to get them disconnected. I had to use a very short flat head screw driver to get them to disconnect. Three of the connectors are hard to reach in the cramp space.

Lexus dealer told me it would cost 1400 dollars to have them replace the boards (which will have the same defect!!!!). 225 via Jim is a much better option.

If you have this problem.... GO THRU JIM!!!!!!!

Great guy and my dashboard FINALLY WORKS when I startup my lexus!!

THANKS AGAIN JIM!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have solved all future problems with this lcd issue. Just like the problems with the cheap capacitors denso used on the instument panels, the lcd on the climate control are controlled by the same capacitors. So just go inside the climate control and change out these capacitors with new ones and it will be good as new. But do it before the lcd is burnt do to the caps failing. Remember: this lcd issue is temp related too---just like the instrument panel. good luck

• 4 weeks later...
You can take this Unit out of the car yourself.  Don't pay for the labour since they are charging $500 Canadian(assuming) for a reman part.

if you want me to direct you on how to do it, let me know.

Hi,

I have a 93 LS400, just had the instrument cluster repaired by The Whizard Technical Service up in Canada. It works great now.

But the LCD displays on the climate control and digital clock unit are still black.

I would appreciate some tips on how to take the unit out and get them fixed.

Thanks

Joe Liu

min_joe@hotmail.com

I Contacted Jim Walker - jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

He shipped me a replacement for my 91 - I changed the old one out and shipped back to him. Cost $215.00 for the part & $150. core charge until I return my old one. I ordered on Friday, received Tuesday and changed unit in about 20 minutes. Couldn't be happier. I highly recommend Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who want to service the instrument cluster illumination: There are LED equivalents available for the #74 bulbs. I haven't tried them yet, but have ordered some. They are available from www.superbrightleds.com (I have no affiliation or experience with this company)

The "T1.5 Instrument LED bulb" comes with the twist-in socket attached. It's hopefully compatible with the holes in the panel.. don't know for sure yet, so I ordered some bare ones as well. Mine are burnt looking, so I am going to go that route. I'm guessing use white for the indicators and whatever you prefer for the backlighting.

If you are electronically knowledgeable: Replace all the electrolytic caps on the board, check the power resistors and replace if needed, re-solder any bad looking joints, especially power resistor pads. I am going to install cold-cathode EL wire in my needles. This requires isolating the circuits by cutting traces on the circuit board. (Experience required.) Re-balancing the needles after this essential as well. Use a wrist strap and other standard precautions for ESD protection! These boards will fail if subjected to static discharge.

Unless you really are confident and experienced and want to bother with it, I'd recommend sending the unit to Jim Walker at LexTech.com. His prices look really reasonable, considering the complexity of these units.

I'm doing it because I enjoy that sort of thing and since the LS400 is my daily driver, I'd rather not have it down for 10 days. I tried to get a substitute unit on Ebay to use while mine's at LexTech, but they are scarce as hen's teeth and really in demand! I'll spend as much or more than Jim charges! :blink:

• 2 months later...

Hi, this is bob from "bobsvilla". I never would have imangined that this problem was so prevalent when we started this thread 3 years and 16,000+ views ago. Given that many bad lcd displays, one would think Toyota would step up to the plate and offer a recall or free replacement parts to rectify this problem. Maybe someone should lobby the government consumer affairs to look into the matter.

My Mikado replacement, which by the way was an exact match to the original part both in colour and font, is still working fine. thanks UCF3

cheers, bob

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where to get a good used or rebuilt clock/climate control for 92' LS 400? The LCD display turning black seems to be a very common problem. I have checked with many auto-wreckers, they either don't have any left or are in the same condition (turning black). I had heard there were some retired Air Force personnel in California that rebuilt them.

PS: Given the number of problems, one might think that Lexus would step in and do a recall or sell rebuilt units,  $800+ for a new one is a bit steep.      thanks,  bob

Yes, I got mine rebuilt by a gentlemen and he did excellent job,he is listed in this forium or you can contact him as follow.

Name: Jim Walker

1776 W. Wrenwood Lane

Fresno, Calif.93711

Phone:559.457.3092

Email:jimlwalker@lmco.com

Hi, I have solved all future problems with this lcd issue. Just like the problems with the cheap capacitors denso used on the instument panels, the lcd on the climate control are controlled by the same capacitors. So just go inside the climate control and change out these capacitors with new ones and it will be good as new. But do it before the lcd is burnt do to the caps failing. Remember: this lcd issue is temp related too---just like the instrument panel. good luck

Johnls400,

You mention the caps in the climate control unit to be replaced to correct a nonfunctioning LCD. Mine works when it is 110 F in the car until the A/C cools the display down. How do I identify the caps in the circuit for the LCD is it obvious. Thanks for the information and your time. I was entertaining replacing the whole LCD display.

Sincerely

Kevin Mathews :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, :D

Yes, my dash blues have started, :cries:

does anybody have the pin configuration for the ls 400 '93 dash,

yes the orange, white & blue connectors that are behind the dash.

I want to isolate my problems with the dash & need to light it up on my bench,

hence need to know what pin for what from the service manual.

thanx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I had a '94 with the usual progression of problems with the guage cluster and the needles (started deteriorating around 140K, finally got bad enough for me to fix it at 168K).

But NO MORE!

I just got it back from Jim Walker after having him do the gauge lighting and the needle repainting ($225 + $150). I could not be happier with his service or my results, not to mention the huge cost savings over the dealer option.

I managed the removal and re-installation with zero scraped knuckles and only a few cuss words. It took more patience than mechanical ability (which is a good thing in my case).

Cheers,

Greg

Greetings all,

I have the same problem and need it fixed asap. How can I contact Jim Walker ? The above link to ebay is not current and I tried searching the internet for LexTech.com and couldn't find him there either.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Do an eBay search for "ls400 cluster".

Select the listing that says "Rebuilt by Jim Walker".

Best,

Greg

Greetings all,

I have the same problem and need it fixed asap. How can I contact Jim Walker ? The above link to ebay is not current and I tried searching the internet for LexTech.com and couldn't find him there either.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I had all kinds of problems with my 94 Lexus LS 400. My backlighting was flickering, the needles on my tach and speedo were half-lit and they were off totally. Luckily I found this place right in town, DNA Speedometers! I can bet you its cheaper than Jim Walker and professional. You actually talk to somebody and they have a phone number which is hard to find these days.

Good Luck,

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I had my Tach needle partially burnt out on my 1992 LS and got it replaced by Dash Electronics and Speedometer in Michigan. The guy I worked with was named Steve and he has a website www.dashusa.com..Great guy. He replaced the backlighting and refinished all four needles. I just got it back yesterday and it looks great in my LS. He charged me $350 plus $12 shipping by UPS.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find the directions for removing the unit?

Thanks

You can take this Unit out of the car yourself.  Don't pay for the labour since they are charging $500 Canadian(assuming) for a reman part.

Please ignore the last posting. When I took the time to read through all 7 pages, I found what I was looking for. I am still new at this and am learning my way around the forum.

Sorry.

Does anyone know where I can find the directions for removing the unit?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ben,

I have the same year and Model - same thing happened to me this morning. Exactly the same. It was really cold (well, for the south - it was almost freezing). I am wondering if anyone knows if it's unsafe to drive it like this. Granted, I can't see how fast I'm going.... Has anyone had this fixed and know how much $$ I'm looking at?

CourtneyK

Matt,

Im wondering if I have the same problem. I have a 1994 Ls400. Recently when I start the car, the instrument panel remains pitch black with the exception of the gear you are in. So as I start driving I notice the lights and needles start to flicker, and flicker, and finally get brighter. This usually happens to me at night or early in the morning. But I live in CA and the temperature should not  be that much of a problem. I took it to the dealer and they say it might be the fuse, but that was fine. Then they said diagnostic, and that is too expensive for me. So what do you think is wrong, please help.

Thanks,

Ben

• 1 month later...

The following document have been made available exclusively to Lexus Owners Club members, courtesy of Jim Walker and motjebben.

The first document, was prepared by Jim Walker details the removal of the circuit boards

Instructions for circuit board removal, ready for cold cathode replacement of burnt out needles

The second document, as prepared by motjebben details the installing of the cold cathode needles.

Instruction to fix Lexus Instrument Panel Needles

i had a 94 ls with dash lights flickering. i took the panel out (thanks for the pictures) took it to our local tv repair man. he found the burned out things. replaced 3 of them and charged me 10 bucks a piece. since the dealer quoted me $800.oo i gave him an extra 10. works great.

• 2 weeks later...
27 2003, 06:49 PM' post='6440']

The following document have been made available exclusively to Lexus Owners Club members, courtesy of Jim Walker and motjebben.

The first document, was prepared by Jim Walker details the removal of the circuit boards

Instructions for circuit board removal, ready for cold cathode replacement of burnt out needles

The second document, as prepared by motjebben details the installing of the cold cathode needles.

Instruction to fix Lexus Instrument Panel Needles

I just wanted to say Thanks to Jim Walker for a great repair job. I sent him the boards for my 93 LS400 Cluster and he repaired them right away and they work flawlessly. He replaced quite a few components to make them work like new again. I would recommend anyone with a 93 LS400 with cluster light problems to send the boards to him. It's worth the price he's asking.

Mojo in Choctaw Oklahoma :D

• 8 months later...

Okay I have the rest last five years of this thread and now its my turn to put my 2 cents in .....Ebay auction has lcd available for around a hundred bucks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-90-94...1QQcmdZViewItem ...... userid mercuryrunner 100 percent feedback 60 feedbacks....

here is link for removal... and replacement http://www.lextreme.com/lcdtech.html ....Personally I dont feel comfortable soldering so I think I will have to also email jim walker or find someone on cl that would do it.

• 2 months later...

Jim Walker fixed my confused gas gauge and the rest of the cluster. Gave good advice on the reinstallation, too. Best $225 I've spent in a while. Especially since I'm a fumblefingers.

Now I just have to fix that air bag light problem that appears when the cluster is removed. Anybody know the best way to attach to those little plug in places under the gas gauge/trunk opener? I have the instructions, but confused how to plug in to a TDCL port. My wires keep falling out......