Instrument cluster clock/climate control

bobsvilla

my climate control LCD back lighting has suddenly gone yesterday. the whole panel is dark. Are there backlight bulbs to replace or I need to replace the LCD?

btw, can I go out and buy a new LCD with that same size and No. of pins (45 pins)? is there a part No. of LCD available?

from my very limited knowledge about electronics, LCD specs are normally refered to as number of characters and rows it can display, say 16x2 LCD meaning that LCD can display 2 lines with 16 characters in each line. does anybody know the specs of our climate control LCD?

thanks

One thing for sure it answers my question regarding replacing the LCD pannel on my Climate control unit ... however there is one question that is still burning in my mind ... my climate control is out... as in Kaput no defrost no heat no blower no nothing ... radio is the same way. I bought it from a previous owner and it did work at one point in time ... after doing some much needed travel for work it was stored .. however I have a feeling weather got to it ( dont ask .. I have no clue took the word of a friend that all was taken care of.

THE QUESTION .. is this a power issue ? or could the climate control (along with the radio) be bad due to age ? I have no way to tell if any parts were recently replaced or what ... I am the third owner and would like to get this fixed .. any and all help welcomed..

Thanks for your time ..

there's a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt climate controls I believe his reserve price is $150 plus $15 shipping and $100 deposit refunded when he recieves your old unit or you can have him rebuild yours and not pay the deposit;but your heat or ac wont work until its reinstalled.heres link as long as it lasts http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexus-LS400-Climate-Co...1QQcmdZViewItem

mine is flawless,it was really easy to install....the link doesnt seem to work;but if you do a search for ls400 climate you'll find it,the guy is J.Eichmann

Hi...I know who you are talking about....I bought a Climate Contol Unit from him and it works perfectly!!

as of today/// January 8, 2008...his link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS400...sspagenameZWDVW

One thing for sure it answers my question regarding replacing the LCD pannel on my Climate control unit ... however there is one question that is still burning in my mind ... my climate control is out... as in Kaput no defrost no heat no blower no nothing ... radio is the same way. I bought it from a previous owner and it did work at one point in time ... after doing some much needed travel for work it was stored .. however I have a feeling weather got to it ( dont ask .. I have no clue took the word of a friend that all was taken care of.

THE QUESTION .. is this a power issue ? or could the climate control (along with the radio) be bad due to age ? I have no way to tell if any parts were recently replaced or what ... I am the third owner and would like to get this fixed .. any and all help welcomed..

Thanks for your time ..

THE ANSWER! No...they would not go "DEAD" due to age. The LCD display would usually go black due to age but the controls should work..at least most of them. The radio would probably burn out some bulbs and you may not be able to see all the buttons at night but that's about it. Have you checked the fuses yet?

my climate control LCD back lighting has suddenly gone yesterday. the whole panel is dark. Are there backlight bulbs to replace or I need to replace the LCD?

btw, can I go out and buy a new LCD with that same size and No. of pins (45 pins)? is there a part No. of LCD available?

from my very limited knowledge about electronics, LCD specs are normally refered to as number of characters and rows it can display, say 16x2 LCD meaning that LCD can display 2 lines with 16 characters in each line. does anybody know the specs of our climate control LCD?

thanks

Sometime the backlight bulbs do go bad and there is a way to replace them, but it is also a common problem for the LCD screen to get blurred out or totally black....for this you have to options to replace the LCD screen...or to have your whole unit re-built.

Here are some links that may help you--

This link will take you to a ebay auction where they are currently selling the LCD screens (you have to specify what car you have) which you can do yourself or have someone else do it for you. Since as you mentioned that you have a limited knoweldge about electronics I would have someone else do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-Clima...sspagenameZWDVW

If you decide to buy the LCD screen...this link will help you or whoever does it for you..to install the LCD screen in your Climate Control Unit:

http://www.lextreme.com/lcdtech.html

If you think you only need to replace the backlight bulbs....this link will show you how:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/howto_aclights_repair.htm

FINALLY...IF YOU THINK THIS WHOLE REPLACING THINGS YOURSELF IS TOO MUCH.. YOU CAN HAVE THE UNIT REPLACED!

This link will tell you where to send your unit for replacement...it will cost you about $295 and you have to send the unit to them:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/info_lcdrepair.htm

This link will take you to a ebay auction where....you will have the option of having a rebuilt unit sent to you and then you have to send your "old" unit to them. (You will have to pay a $100 deposit which will be refunded when they get your unit) or you can send your unit to them and wait til' they fix it and send it back to you. I USED THIS SITE AND MY UNIT WORKS PERFECTLY!! I used option #1 payed the deposit and then got it back with no problems! This way I always had a unit in my car. At the end..the unit ends up costing you like $150 or something like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS400...sspagenameZWDVW

I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM!! --MARLON

PLEASE COME BACK AND LET THE FORUM KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO AND HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU!

thanks a lot Marlon08901 for your detailed instructions on many options. I am not living in US so its not financially viable sending the unit and get it fixed by someone in US, i would love it if there is someone in VN doing this thing.

the only option i have is to order the LCD and fix it myself. I will come back with the result once finish

thanks again

thanks a lot Marlon08901 for your detailed instructions on many options. I am not living in US so its not financially viable sending the unit and get it fixed by someone in US, i would love it if there is someone in VN doing this thing.

the only option i have is to order the LCD and fix it myself. I will come back with the result once finish

thanks again

Glad I could be of some sort of help! ;) Best of luck with your project and don't forget to come back and let us know how it all worked out for you! By the way, what country do the letters VN represent? I am really bad in geography!!! :blushing:

The only countries I can think of that have the letters V and N in it are Venezuela and Vietnam...but I am sure there are probably more....Anyway...once again...GOOD LUCK!!!

OK, I've read the entire 13 pages of this thread and it covers most of my problem. I've had this problem for about 5 to 6 years. Originally, when I lived in Maryland, it only happened in the winter. So, I moved to sunny Florida. Then it only happened when it got really cold. Now it happens whenever the temperature is lower than 72 degrees, even when the car is garage kept.

For about the past year, when I start the car and drive, everything works correctly, then after about 5 miles, the dash begins to flash and the entire thing (Cluster and A/C and shifter and even door button lights go out). Then after driving about 20 to 40 miles, everything begins to come on again. First, it's the shifter on the console and the radio buttons and the HVAC lights begin to flicker, Then as they flicker more the dash needles begin to flash. Then these lights stay on and the back lighting on the cluster begins to flash. Each time they flash on, the fuel gauge needle comes off the end pin. After several minutees of this, then everything is lit up like the car was new. While these lights are off, the odometer doesn't accurately register miles driven.

Is all this tied to what ever is causing the cluster lighting problem that everyone has been describing on this forum since 2003?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

well heres whats strange.

My cluster odometer , temp , and fuel gauge works fine. The rpm and the speedometer dont reg right. When Im going 50 It says Im doing 30.

Ok now when I have my lights on the reverse light lights up in the cluster and the car won get out of second gear. When I turn my lights off... its fine,,

Ive pulled the fuses for gauge and panel to see if the cluster was the prob but still the same prob..

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I've read the entire 13 pages of this thread and it covers most of my problem. I've had this problem for about 5 to 6 years. Originally, when I lived in Maryland, it only happened in the winter. So, I moved to sunny Florida. Then it only happened when it got really cold. Now it happens whenever the temperature is lower than 72 degrees, even when the car is garage kept.

For about the past year, when I start the car and drive, everything works correctly, then after about 5 miles, the dash begins to flash and the entire thing (Cluster and A/C and shifter and even door button lights go out). Then after driving about 20 to 40 miles, everything begins to come on again. First, it's the shifter on the console and the radio buttons and the HVAC lights begin to flicker, Then as they flicker more the dash needles begin to flash. Then these lights stay on and the back lighting on the cluster begins to flash. Each time they flash on, the fuel gauge needle comes off the end pin. After several minutees of this, then everything is lit up like the car was new. While these lights are off, the odometer doesn't accurately register miles driven.

Is all this tied to what ever is causing the cluster lighting problem that everyone has been describing on this forum since 2003?

I'll try this once again. I Pulled the instrument cluster on Sunday 2/4. Had it in the mail (Express Mail) by noon on Tuesday. I had it back in my hand by noon on Saturday and in the car on Sunday afternoon. It works beautifully. If you are having this problem, then contact Jim Walker. His e mail address is below!

thelexpert@yahoo.com

Ron Kile

The Villages, Fl

ronkile@thevillages.net

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a '95 LS and the lcd on the climate control works fine, it's some of the bulbs that are burnt out. I've contacted the dealership about replacement bulbs but they want $15 per bulb! Per Toyota dealership, they don't use them on any Toyota cars. I've contacted Jim Walker and he will give me a great deal on a set that works on the 90-94 (Thanks Jim) but, according to Lexus, the 95 uses a different bulb. The part number per Lexus is 8499960460. Does anyone know where I could possibly get these bulbs? Thanks guys for any help.

• 1 month later...

:twisted: Gee, it looks the same to me. THe only difference between what you shared with us is a street name difference. I didn't have any problems with the address. USPS knew exactly where to find them.

i've had that problem with the blacked out lcd display...im trying to get that fixed as well on my 92 ls400.......there was a posting on the LA craigslist of someone that repaires and installs them for about 380 bucks.........

Men,

I'm new here, but this is a very useful forum. My question is, has anyone had the problem of the needle to the speedometer not moving? I have a 98 LS and this happens from time to time. I haven't been able to detect a pattern as to under what conditions it happens. Thanks.

Greg

Men,

I'm new here, but this is a very useful forum. My question is, has anyone had the problem of the needle to the speedometer not moving? I have a 98 LS and this happens from time to time. I haven't been able to detect a pattern as to under what conditions it happens. Thanks.

Greg

The 91-94 LS400 speedo and tach needles are known to stick from lube getting on the limit stop in the gage. Take a look at the bottom of the following link for info on how to clean it off. -Rick

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...5935&page=4

Men,

Greg

The 91-94 LS400 speedo and tach needles are known to stick from lube getting on the limit stop in the gage. Take a look at the bottom of the following link for info on how to clean it off. -Rick

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...5935&page=4

Thanks for the help.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with my 93 LS.. the crazy thing is that although the RPM needle sometime sticks for a little while, it is predominantly my Fuel gauge needle that is completely inaccurate. It's full and it only reads half, and then it might go up a bit.. and later it might come down a to just a 1/4 when in reality I am almost full....

Do you all think it's the same issue with too much lubricant on the needles?

THanks for the advice.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know where to get a good used or rebuilt clock/climate control for 92' LS 400? The LCD display turning black seems to be a very common problem. I have checked with many auto-wreckers, they either don't have any left or are in the same condition (turning black). I had heard there were some retired Air Force personnel in California that rebuilt them.

PS: Given the number of problems, one might think that Lexus would step in and do a recall or sell rebuilt units, $800+ for a new one is a bit steep. thanks, bob

Search by part number, part numbers can be found there

http://www.autospares.lv/_pages/toyota/ind...Xx8RklHPT01NTAx

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know where to get a good used or rebuilt clock/climate control for 92' LS 400? The LCD display turning black seems to be a very common problem. I have checked with many auto-wreckers, they either don't have any left or are in the same condition (turning black). I had heard there were some retired Air Force personnel in California that rebuilt them.

PS: Given the number of problems, one might think that Lexus would step in and do a recall or sell rebuilt units, $800+ for a new one is a bit steep. thanks, bob

ebay has them for around 40$ and the only thing is you need to be handy and have a soldering iron with nerrrrrrrrrves of steel. i also have the same problem and will fix it one day soon after i stop modding my lexus. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...