Instrument cluster clock/climate control

bobsvilla

:cheers:

Hi all,

Just a follow up on how you should still use Mikado. Checked with Jim and he will not have a LCD ready for 93 & 94 LS400 until later in the year. I had a 93. My first Lexus. After 6 months of owning it, I had enough of a stick on clock and black LCD displays. Besides, whenever my wife drove it, the stick on clock disappeared into the glove box. Something about too tacky for a Lexus.

Took mine out in about 1/2 hour. Shipped it 2 day UPS to Mikado. Checked with UPS. They received it at 10:50 am PST on Tuesday and shipped my replacement out that afternoon. I received it on Thursday. Another 1/2 hour after dinner that n ight and Hurray. Worked perfectly, looked great. Better contrast than the radio LCD's. Perfect Match. Good Job to Mikado.

Found the $295 was firm plus $12 shipping to them.

Did not realize how much I had missed the clock or how well auto works when you can tell the temperature.

If you can't wait and can afford the $295 this is the way to go.

Laserron

Atlanta GA

:wacko:

Hello Gentalmen,

I've got a 91 LS400 and I'm experiencing the same problems with the LCD display blacking out. I've noticed several listings on Ebay for replacement LCD panels to be soldered into your existing unit. Has anyone seen or have access to where these guy's may be buying these panels. The repair itself is simple if you can just get your hands on the parts!

Thanks Bryan

looks like Ebay users like this seller. I really don't know about this seller, but as long as it looks like the one you have currently in your car, go for it. Worst case scenerio, you get a bad part, call him/her a loser, and get it fixed from one of our recommended rebuilder.

• 2 weeks later...

:D I also just got a LCD repir Kit from Mikado and let me tell you it is great to finally see my temp/clock display. I replaced LCD myself, fairly easy to do with right equipment. Like migirdech said, it comes with replacement bulbs and the LCD is an exact match to the original. I would recommend getting one from Mikado. Another advantage is that if you get it from Mikado, you can get one for either the 90-92 LS or 93-94 LS. I know this because after winning the auction on Ebay, Sammy from Mikado called me to ask if I needed the LCD for a 90-92 or 93-94 model LS.

Migirdech -

The backlighting on mine stays on even when headlight are not on. It has always been like this even when my LCD was blacked out. It turns on as soon as you insert key on turn to ACC. Don't know if it changed for other years. :unsure:

I think that I am going to send my entire unit into Mikado and have them install the new LCD. I know a couple of you have done this, what did you send to them, the entire climate control unit?

that's what I've done. I didn't feel the need to tackle it myself, but right about now it sounds like it's really easy to repair.

I know my Climate control unit doesn't turn on until I tell it to. Since I have a 94 and not a 90-92, I can't really tell if they're supposed to be on, or not.

chrisvince@btopenworld.com

Greetings from England

Gents I am a new member who appears to have the same problems as yourselves regarding the A/C control panel, I can also assure you that I am not alone I know of at least 3 other local LS400's that are also suffering from the same defect.

Over the last 3 years it has gradually got darker and is now unintelligable, my car is a 1993 LS400 English version i.e. the temp readout is in centigrade, and the car is right hand drive.

Can anybody confirm for me that the replacement LCD screens that are available in the USA are suitable for English cars?

If so can anybody give me a contact in the USA that I might obtain just the LCD screens from? Sending the whole control panel across the Atlantic together with the timescale involved is unrealistic.

Another problem I've recently aquired is that the tachometer needle is dead for approx. half its length I've read about the flourescent painting method on these pages, but would rather go for a needle replacement, does anyone know if this is possible?

I thank you all for your time reading this enquiry.

Very best regards,

Chris Vince

Welcome Chris. Are you sure there aren't electronics guys in the UK who have worked on this problem? I know the recommendation below is from one of our Admin guys in the Manchester.

I believe we have a couple of people who can sell you the individual parts, I think.

Based upon what you've seen in our gallery, do they look identical?

if they are, I would recommend, checking out

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=83&st=30

and look out for Jim Walker and information to reach him.

HI Chris,

I have the same problem in the guage needles half dead (Speedo/Tachometer). I have a complete dark panel before, I replaced few EC's on the PSU boards. Everthing went back to normal except to those two needles. I think I need to go further EC's replacement to fix the problem completely. I am afraid to replace the needle may not slove the problem, since the needle is supplied by high voltage, it may not have enough juice to power up those needles.

If anyone know more about this problem, please share.

Thanks.

Our 91 Lexus LS400 has a darkened Clock/Climate Control display like many others. I have been checking out all the options on Ebay with "remotes4cars", "lex-pert", "moto-speedred", "duluthelectronicsmaster", etc. Most have a kit or whole unit to sell. However, now I noticed "vals_mart" who will email "info how to fix the LED for almost 5 times cheaper then buying the new climate control system." (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467375442) Is this a hoax? ;)

Hoax? not sure.

But, what they are selling is the procedure of “how to replace or fix the old LCD to a new one.” It probably includes; how to take the unit out, the LCD and how to solder it in. This does not include the LCD. I don’t know why someone will be interested in purchasing this, because all of there are tons of website on the net with the procedure of “how to replace or fix the LCD.” There is a really good one but I can’t find it, it is like ?lextreme.com?

Yeah, I'm not sure too, but he's got a 100% positive feedback. That includes people who bought his 'item'.

If it's worth the effort, you can send a message to those people and ask them if they found anything that will really helped them out.

I was able to get a response from one of the buyers of his 'product.'

Here is his response:

The information is instructions on how to remove the unit from the panel

and the address of a company in Calif to send it for repair. The prob

is you have to have a business permit before l they will do businss with

you. I think it would work but it will be a lot of trouble. Hope this

answers your question.

JC

I'm kind of curious. What's wrong with the two options that are presented in this Thread, ie. Needles and Climate clock?

The Ebay kits are quite good, especially since most of them are companies that already refurbish our stock systems.

There are instructions on how to remove GEN I Climate/Clock LCDs on this thread.