Instrument cluster clock/climate control

bobsvilla

OK, I have a 95 model (73K miles) and the behavior of the lights going out is different. When I turn on the headlights, the dash lights and radio / climate control lights go out. When the headlights are off, the dash lights and radio / climate control are bright and shiny like new.

One thing to note is that for the last 4 months I have owned the car, it would dim the dash lights and radio when the headlights were on. Sometimes this would flicker and come on full bright but it never went completely out as far as I noticed until today. I had to shine a flash light on the dash to see how fast I was going.

I am not sure if this is the same problem, especially since 98% of the posts of these 14 pages refer to 90-94 models.

Can someone help me with the problem?

Thanks,

Victor

After continuing to read through the forum for about an hour, I finally came on the solution in this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...light+dashlight

The problem for a 95 model is that the dimmer switch can be set to completely off, which causes the dash to be completely blacked out when the headlights are on. I had some work done today at the dealer and apparently they did this for me while they were at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1990 LS 400 and the dash seems to be loosing power...I can regain dash lights by moving the fuse box a little but its not permanant. I've read through the entire post and think I have a capacitor problem as well. When my dash shuts off, I also loose pwr to my windows, locks, gas cover, etc... Anyone have a wiring diagram or any thoughts to lead me in a direction?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

'94 LS400. Sent my Time/Temp LCDs, and my gage cluster to Mikado Technology (finally). Got them back in a week (from CA to VA). AWESOME!!Installed today, along with the radio from dcfish, and my new antenna. Everything is working beautifully!! And the gage cluster,..what can I say?? The needles were half burned out, and sticking. Now, my cluster is like brand new. Polished front, needles all bright and shiny, and I don't have to hit the dash, to get my speedo needle to move. LCDs are bright and beautiful, with original appearing font. Thanks to all of you, for your instructions, suggestions, and info. God bless and good night!! Drive safely!!! :D

'94 LS400. Sent my Time/Temp LCDs, and my gage cluster to Mikado Technology (finally). Got them back in a week (from CA to VA). AWESOME!!Installed today, along with the radio from dcfish, and my new antenna. Everything is working beautifully!! And the gage cluster,..what can I say?? The needles were half burned out, and sticking. Now, my cluster is like brand new. Polished front, needles all bright and shiny, and I don't have to hit the dash, to get my speedo needle to move. LCDs are bright and beautiful, with original appearing font. Thanks to all of you, for your instructions, suggestions, and info. God bless and good night!! Drive safely!!! :D

I sure wish I had used Mikado Technology , I sent mine to LEX-PERT Jim Walker, after talking with him, I realized everything that was wrong with it was my fault, for one reason or another. If you are going to use him, be sure you talk lexus lingo and know every thing there is to know about your cluster.

Mine, my temp gauge dosent work, and needle is not illumated (it did,was)(faulty packing on my part)(plus if I had told him, it would have been an extra charge) my seatbelt reminder isnt working, the D(drive) light dosent light up.

BUT, worst of all, my tach & speedo needles stick unless setting in the sun.. WHY would anyone use the type of grease that causes this type of problems if you are in the repair business... ANYWAY I sure wish I had used someone else, that didnt require me to know everything...

• 4 weeks later...

for climate/clock display solution try www.lextreme.com/lcdtech.html They supply the new display and lead you throughth process of removing the radio/a/c control unit and replacing the display. Even have great diagrams and photos.

• 1 month later...

I have had the cold weather flickering lights on the instrument control panel for a while. Recently the back lights to the climate control panel have started flickering in unison also. I am going to try to repair this myself based on the submitted information on the forum. I belive the C212 capacitor is the one the causes this problem.

Does anyone know if the capacitor that controls the cold weather instrument gauge light flickering problem is the same capacitor that controls the lighting behind the climate control panel/radio?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the instrument cluster rebuilt for around $200 thru an outfit on ebay. It was for my 94 LS. They gave me instructions to remove it. I packed and mailed it and in about 10 days got it back. Everything went great. Just search on ebay for "Lexus Instument Cluster Repair" or "Climate Repair"

Has anyone actually had the display replaced? What are results. I too would do the job myself if there was a source for the LCD display.

Anyone?? :?

I just searched on ebay for 'REPAIR LEXUS INSTRUMENT CLUSTER" and I found a place that rebuilds the instrument panel for $175 + $20 shipping. Don't remember if it's the same place I used 4 years ago but they have a good rating on ebay.

Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...8#ht_2731wt_922

I had the instrument cluster rebuilt for around $200 thru an outfit on ebay. It was for my 94 LS. They gave me instructions to remove it. I packed and mailed it and in about 10 days got it back. Everything went great. Just search on ebay for "Lexus Instument Cluster Repair" or "Climate Repair"
Has anyone actually had the display replaced? What are results. I too would do the job myself if there was a source for the LCD display.

Anyone?? :?

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, We had a 1993 with same problem and found a rebuilder in California for about $400 and $100 for an after market service provider to install. Previous main speedometer and instrument read out was over $1K at the dealer. If I find the name I wil send it but we have sold that car and the paperwork went with it.Good luck. DMR

I just attempted to fix my 94 LS instrument panel. My problems were black and flickering dash lights when cold, fuel gauge needle was stuck on E. 3 out of 4 needles were partially blacked out also. I have read as much as possible from all the different sites over the last couple of months before i took that instrument cluster apart. When it got to soldering the 3 capacitors, which i picked up for a couple of dollars, it looked like the soldering job needed more exact fine skill than I was willing to risk. Someone mentioned taking their boards to a tv repair shop with the capacitors. I searched BBB for someone reputable and took the parts in. He soldered on the 3 capacitors for $30. That problem fixed.

The needles have a black sheath film that surrounds the bottom, sides, and the end of the needle. That i guess carries electricity. On my needles the film was cracked and split open like a banana peel sideways at the halfway point on the needles. The film also was not touching the needle at the halfway point. My speedometer needle's film just fell off completely when i touched it. Someone else on one of the boards mentioned fixing the needles with window defrost repair kit, $12.95 at Pep Boys. I painted the defrost repair kit solution on the back and sides of the needle and then scraped a fine straight segment on the front of the needle with a razor blade. That needle is working correctly now.

The other needles I tried to paint inside the peeled film and glue the film back on top of the defrost paint. 2 out of 3 needles using that repair technique worked, the other is still dark. Should have tested it before putting it all back together.

Its a big leap, but maybe better just to take off the frayed film and paint the needles making sure there is a connection at both ends to the remaining pieces of film.

In terms of recalibrating the needles. i didn't mess with them and they seem ok.

I hope that helps people. With regard to this instrument cluster issue, it seems like a lot of posts are made to promote a few repair businesses.

Thanks to all the people who have offered up information for free in the spirit of the internet and helping others.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where to get a good used or rebuilt clock/climate control for 92' LS 400? The LCD display turning black seems to be a very common problem. I have checked with many auto-wreckers, they either don't have any left or are in the same condition (turning black). I had heard there were some retired Air Force personnel in California that rebuilt them.

PS: Given the number of problems, one might think that Lexus would step in and do a recall or sell rebuilt units, $800+ for a new one is a bit steep. thanks, bob

Hind sight, but... I read that this was a problem when I got my 92 LS400 a year ago. So, I cover my entire display with a stiff piece of rubber shelf liner whenever the car is not in use. The sun destroys the LCD. Also, I never leave the sunroof open which can let the sun shine directly on the screen. Cover your new/rebuilt screen if you park outside.

• 2 weeks later...
Y'all need to check http://www.mrwhizard.com/ He currently has the following running:1993-94 Lexus LS400 - only $189 for instrument clusters! I knw he does many makes and models. He's in Canada, so this may be Canadian $. Hope he can help.

Has any one used this place. I am considering trying it out. The prices are great and the shipping is free-to-me. Any info good or bad would be great. THX

• 1 month later...

joebob1,

that is the most sensible approach I have seen to date on this forum, to this needle blackout problem in the early models! Thank you for sharing this info. My '92 LS400 needles are still good, so I don't have to resort to any of these methods, but since my tach does not move unless I hit some high revs, when it barely moves, I think that when I finally decide to go in, I may dislodge the conductive paint on the needles and will have to use your technique!

Thx

• 5 weeks later...

Newbie to the board and love the information that I have found so far. Does anyone know what could be the issue with my Speedo not functioning properly. I just purchased the car last night and on the way home I was doing about 75 but the speedo was only reading 40. I also would like to know if anyone has found a good source for getting the climate control fixed as mine is almost all black. I checked one of the websites listed in the post but it appears they only repair the cluster. Thanks in advance for any assistance or direction or for moving this to the proper location. I will say that coming from my 2002 Dodge Intrepid to this 1991 LS400 is feeling like an huge upgrade even with the issues that I have with my interior.

Keifer91,

There is guy in CA I think, Sam something or the other, and he is with Mikado - a google search will bring up several Mikados; only one will have a Sam. Anyway, he will sell you the LCD alone, or I believe he will fix it. I spoke with him recently and he quoted the LCD at $195.00. I will look for my notes and post the actual site and phone when I do find. Alternatively, there is another person (on this thread) Jim Walker, who also repairs these things. If you do a search you will find him.

HTH

Excellent post by JoeBob1.

Take out the dash, get the TV repair shop to replace the caps for $30 bucks or so, put it back in.

Beautiful solution, but I would add this: while you're at the TV repair shop, get them to replace all the canister type caps, not just the three.

I was so hell bent on fixing it myself that I didn't think about the TV repair shop, doh!

I just attempted to fix my 94 LS instrument panel. My problems were black and flickering dash lights when cold, fuel gauge needle was stuck on E. 3 out of 4 needles were partially blacked out also. I have read as much as possible from all the different sites over the last couple of months before i took that instrument cluster apart. When it got to soldering the 3 capacitors, which i picked up for a couple of dollars, it looked like the soldering job needed more exact fine skill than I was willing to risk. Someone mentioned taking their boards to a tv repair shop with the capacitors. I searched BBB for someone reputable and took the parts in. He soldered on the 3 capacitors for $30. That problem fixed.

The needles have a black sheath film that surrounds the bottom, sides, and the end of the needle. That i guess carries electricity. On my needles the film was cracked and split open like a banana peel sideways at the halfway point on the needles. The film also was not touching the needle at the halfway point. My speedometer needle's film just fell off completely when i touched it. Someone else on one of the boards mentioned fixing the needles with window defrost repair kit, $12.95 at Pep Boys. I painted the defrost repair kit solution on the back and sides of the needle and then scraped a fine straight segment on the front of the needle with a razor blade. That needle is working correctly now.

The other needles I tried to paint inside the peeled film and glue the film back on top of the defrost paint. 2 out of 3 needles using that repair technique worked, the other is still dark. Should have tested it before putting it all back together.

Its a big leap, but maybe better just to take off the frayed film and paint the needles making sure there is a connection at both ends to the remaining pieces of film.

In terms of recalibrating the needles. i didn't mess with them and they seem ok.

I hope that helps people. With regard to this instrument cluster issue, it seems like a lot of posts are made to promote a few repair businesses.

Thanks to all the people who have offered up information for free in the spirit of the internet and helping others.

Hi Joe Bob1 I have the same problem of flickering lights during the cold months and dimming needles. can you provide specific instructions on how to repair the cluster? I went on the lexls site on how to remove the cluster at this address http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/...entcluster.html. Now can you give me any information as to where are the capacitors or problems that I can fix once the cluster is out or can you tell me where I can get the info that helped you... Thanks Henry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my rebuilt climate control unit from ebay yesterday. Seller name is "jje02"

$145 + $15 (S&H) + $100 (core deposit) to get a rebuilt unit. You get your $100 back after you ship back your old one. Fast shipping and he provides you with good instructions on how to take your old unit off. Next project: replace leather on steering wheel and shift knob.

LCDbefore1.gif

LCDbefore2.gif

LCDafter1.gif

LCDafter2.gif

• 3 months later...
My first time on this site tonight. I've read the string. My 95 LS400 has a bad LCD on the radio, not the climate control. Is Mikado still the source for repair? I'm not brave enough to take it out myself. Any suggestions there?

On a similar subject, the CD changer seems to get lost/can't track sometimes. The problem comes and goes. The dealer is no help. Any suggestions?

I have a 95 with the same problem. How do I get in touch with Mikado? Phone number please

My first time on this site tonight. I've read the string. My 95 LS400 has a bad LCD on the radio, not the climate control. Is Mikado still the source for repair? I'm not brave enough to take it out myself. Any suggestions there?

On a similar subject, the CD changer seems to get lost/can't track sometimes. The problem comes and goes. The dealer is no help. Any suggestions?

I have a 95 with the same problem. How do I get in touch with Mikado? Phone number please

I just got mine fixed by a place that I found on EBAY. They charged me $75 plus tax, and the best part is they were local. I took it to them and it was done the next day. They did a great job and it has a warranty. I would highly recomend them. I think they go by Auto Truck Electronics.