Funny Thing About Car Colors

Geo

My "new" 01 ES is onyx black on tan. I have seen many ES's out there and even was tempted to get a white or grey same car but that onyx black is so elegant. It makes all the chrome jump out and shine. Everything looks bright. Like some have mentioned, the upkeep is a b-itch but its worth it. I live in Sacramento CA and the summer will tell the truth about having a black car in the heat. George

George, I couldn't agree more. There is really something to a black car. My Benz is black and I wouldn't have it any other way (I wish my Lexus was too). When she is all clean and shiny it just looks beautiful. Henry Ford was on to something when he said that "you can have a car in any color as long as it's black." (I may not be quoting directly here). It's hard to put it into words, but sleek, sophistocated, elegant, and powerful all come to mind.

I live in southern VA and it gets pretty hot here too in the summers (but we have the humidity that is the real killer). I don't think that it will be too bad, especally if the inside is tan. Besides, you can use the remote to roll down all of the windows before you even get in to vent the hot air.

Well, Henry Ford said "You can have any color you want as long as its black" because that was the only color they had. It was the only color they had because it dried the fastest. Didnt have anything to do with him liking black best ;)

It's definitely a different experience dealing with black cars on hot summer days, so I usually do a few things to keep the interior "sub"-hot while the ES is parked:

- keep a windshield sunscreen up

- lay a towel over the wood steering wheel (so I don't burn myself)

- clean/condition the interior on a frequent basis (once a week during the summer)

- just received Vinylex, so I will certainly apply some of that to the dashboard too

- keep all windows slightly cracked open (if the parking area is safe) ;)

- tint would help greatly, but I don't see the practical need of tint in CT

I too live in the Sacramento area and was going to purchase a black '04 until I remembered how hard it was to keep the car nice and shiny. The water her in Sac is pretty hard, so be careful when parking near sprinklers and wash only at dawn or dusk and never in the sun. I ended up with a white '04 after evaluating the upkeep and the interior abuse from the sun.

Besides, you can use the remote to roll down all of the windows before you even get in to vent the hot air.

Is there a button on the remote that does this, or is it just when you turn the key and hold it? That would rock if I could do it with the remote from across the parking lot. :D

Is there a button on the remote that does this, or is it just when you turn the key and hold it? That would rock if I could do it with the remote from across the parking lot. :D

You roll the windows down/up when inserting the master key on either front door and turning it. It also closes/opens the moonroof (at least in my '01 ES), which I thought was unusual :blink:

I thought you could press and hold down the unlock button on the remote and that would open the windows & sunroof. I know this works on my Dad's LS 430 with his remote.

If you hold down the unlock button all the windows will roll down and the sunroof will open from up to like 30 feet away, however far you can use the remote.

Strangely though, you cannot roll the windows up using the key like you can on the LS. Nobody knows why Lexus made it this way. You have to get in, start the car and roll all the windows up.

This is true for all 02+ I know.