New Strut For 96ls - Bilstein Or Syb?

lexur

I am ready to replace the rear struts of my 96 LS to get a firmer ride. I have replaced the front ones with original Lexus ones recently. But, the handling is still too soft. I want firmer suspension but without lower the car. So far, I find 2 brands - Bilstein (BE5-2735) and SYB (GR-2). Any suggestion which one should I go for? Any one has expenience with them?

Thanks.

You mean KYB not syb; anyway, I installed KYB on mine several years ago; I thought at the time that only one shock would fit--G2b??? don't know.

Also at that time I wanted Bilstein but was told they were not made for Lexus. Didn't like it because I was a former BMW guy--still have a 1959 Bimmer!!

Anyway, I like the KYB; not too hard-not too soft; curious about Bilstein being made--would assume they would be much harder based on my earlier experience.

hello, lexur, i have a brand new never installed KYB GR2 struts front and rear for sale, i had it listed on the buy and sell forum sometime ago, but just a thought that you might be interested, am also including step by step procedure on how to replace this taken from lexus manual, selling for 345.00 shipping included, thanks

Richard, I think the Bilsteins are only available for 95s and newer vehicles. I am looking to replace the struts/shocks on my 93 and I am leaning towards the KYBs over the stock shocks, so I am very happy to see your favorable review. Was it a noticable improvement? I'd love to make the handling more 740Il ish without degrading the ride too much. Any further review of the KYBs would be helpful to me, and probably Lexur as well. Thanks in advance.

dhm--if I had to do it again I would probably go stock. As I recall, after the installation I was at a dealer and asked the price of their shocks---they were !/2 the price of the KYB---and that was without looking for a deal on line[ irontoad.com ]; or at a Toyota dealer, etc.

I am sure that they are not twice as good as stock---which could be the very same thing in disguise !!!!

My 2 cents -

Skip the struts and replace the springs with Eibach (if available). This will change your ride, but not as jittery as changing the struts. If you are going to do the struts go with Bils as I think there is not a big difference btween kyb and stock.

I ride eibach and stock struts.

http://tein.com/lexus.html

When i can afford them im going for the tein coil overs with the EDFC.

The tein product allows you to choose what ride height you want and 16 damping settings,with the EDFC controller you can adjust the damper settings from inside the car with 3 settings that can be stored in its memory,and with EDFC you have 32 damper settings,ive looked along and hard to find after market springs and shocks for my mk ls400,the tein products not cheap £1220 in the uk without the EDFC unit included for mine...

hope this gives you another option.. :)

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. I just back from a trip.

tansupplyman,

Sorry for the typo. I mean KYB GR2. Thanks for the info. Bilsteins do have both front and back struts for 96 LS now. My 96 LS is way too soft. I even get car sick while driving in curvy roads (I never got car sick before). I want it be firmer, but of casue not "too" firm like the BMW. If scale it 1 to 5 with 1 is stock and 5 is BMW, I want 3 or 4. Don't know how much ride degrading with the 3 or 4. That is why I need suggestions here.

bicol-ini,

I am still in the info collection stage. I willdefinitely conatct you if I decide to go for the KYB.

jbatast,

I don't want to lower the car to get better controlbility. That is why I am think the struts, not the springs. The Eibach website says their springs will lower the car ~1.5". That is a lot!!!!!! Is there a firmer spring w/o lower the car? I heard the same thing from my friends as you said - "If you are going to do the struts go with Bils as I think there is not a big difference btween kyb and stock". I don't want to spend $500.- and only get a little bit firmer. And, of cause don't want to have a bumpy car.

Anybody are riding the Bilsteins now? How much control and ride quality difference between them and the stock ones?

Thanks for every opinion.

kyb seems to be the OEM struts for toyota while bilstein are good if you wanna drop ur car and use coilovers. if you wanna keep original ride quality i would recommend to stick with OEM toyota parts.