Navigation Directions Does Not Mute Radio

I just purchased a new 15 RX 350 F Sport. I have a question concerning the navigation directions.

When i have the radio on and the navigation gives directions it does not mute the radio and I cannot hear the directions given by the navigation. If there is an option for this I cannot find it. I talked with my salesman and he thinks it should mute the radio. When I am on a cell call the radio is muted.

Thanks, Tom

I haven't seen a Toyota/Lexus navigation system yet that has an option to mute the radio when the system gives audible instructions. Try going into the settings and increasing the volume of the navigation instructions by one or two notches .... or turn down the radio when you using the navigation feature.

• 7 years later...

I have just bought the top of the range RX 450h and despite numerous assurances by the dealership I am hugely disappointed that something as fundamental as muting the radio when navigation issues instructions does not work. They tell me that they can overcome this by using Waze on Apple play but I have HUD and this does not integrate with HUD.

As things stand I am very disappointed and am unlikely to repeat my error at buying this car. Moral is don’t trust a salesman, they lie to you.

1 hour ago, John OReilly said:

I have just bought the top of the range RX 450h and despite numerous assurances by the dealership I am hugely disappointed that something as fundamental as muting the radio when navigation issues instructions does not work. They tell me that they can overcome this by using Waze on Apple play but I have HUD and this does not integrate with HUD.

As things stand I am very disappointed and am unlikely to repeat my error at buying this car. Moral is don’t trust a salesman, they lie to you.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Toyota/Lexus navigation systems have never had an option to mute radios when navigation instructions are broadcast.  It's been that way since the 1990's - at least in the U.S. market.  Where are you located?    

Something that might help you is pressing the MAP button to have audible navigation instructions repeated when you don't hear them.  I do that quite often.    By the way, can you see the navigation instructions in your HUD?