1999 Ls400 Fob Key

billydpowell

on one of my 99 LS's, my fob key will lock all the doors when you press LOCK,

but when you press unlock, nothing unlocks.. no sound, nothing

and even the trunk release (on fob) quit working.

once again, push lock button and car locks (as it should)

but nothing else works (of course I can unlock with the key)

but no other action, no unlock and no trunk release (with button)

have I made that clear, my FOB will lock my car but will do nothing else..

do any of you have any experience with this problem???

the key starts the car, and the alarm works, I had to unlock with key to stop it.

ANY HELP???

post-5365-0-60930100-1413922037_thumb.jp

Couple of thoughts here Billy.

1) Wondering if the battery is getting weak and working intermittently. Weird things happen when batteries get low. Might be worth throwing a new 2032 in there to see.

2) Maybe the switch for unlock is dirty and in need of cleaning. You would have to take the fob apart (not hard to do) to clean it.

3) Is there an interior lock-out switch or button? I know the trunk has a lock-out but not sure if that would affect the doors. Have you checked to see? (If I recall correctly, the trunk would still release with the fob even if locked inside).

4) do you have a spare fob to try and see if it behaves the same? I know on my 98, sometimes I would need to hold the unlock button for several seconds to get it to unlock, especially the trunk release.

Does your 1999 have a Valet switch in the glove box?

Paul

no, Paul, no switch, I just checked.... thanks..

Randall, several batterys... but all of them have been CR1616 a 2032 is too large and thick to fit..

PLEASE RECHECK YOUR NUMBER. the case has 1616 also

extra key not fob.... but I will pull the guts out and see about cleaning, because it happened when she went into church and then when she came out, would not unlock.... I will check tomorrow

post-5365-0-63162600-1413985676_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-82479900-1413985689_thumb.jp

My money is still on the battery Billy.

you are very wrong... with the inner unit in my hand and with another new battery I can push the buttons and the feel is identical to my buttons on my other working 99 fob and I have swapped the batterys, my working fob still works on my working fob and still just only locks but will not unlock my failing one..

white 99 no unlock

black 99 locks & unlocks

swapping batterys did not change anything

sounds confusing but I hope you figure it out.. smile...

post-5365-0-15134100-1413996096_thumb.jp

here is what I am going to try.... ordering a matching ebay key with the 3 button assembly in it, put the 3 button in my shell and have park place program it $55 for me..... they offered me a 3 button key for 200. plus the 55$

I will see if that works and report...

and YES Randall they blink even if nothing else works..

Well, you know the transmitter works, the antenna works and battery is good because the lock side of things works properly. So, either the fob got de-programmed on the unlock features (highly unlikely) or...something in your car is preventing unlock, like the security system.

Honestly, my next step would be to pull the car's battery and let it sit overnight. Reset the entire security system. Then try again.

Well, you know the transmitter works, the antenna works and battery is good because the lock side of things works properly. So, either the fob got de-programmed on the unlock features (highly unlikely) or...something in your car is preventing unlock, like the security system.

Honestly, my next step would be to pull the car's battery and let it sit overnight. Reset the entire security system. Then try again.

battery pulled... 7 hours later:

battery restored,

fob same as before... no change..

what now?

Wild a.. guess. Is there a fuse or more than one fuse for the security system or FOB receiver? I know that sounds pretty far fetched but the battery idea seems to be D.O.A.

Paul

yes, the fuse for the security system is also tilt & tele, and power door locks and power seat system, and these are working.

NEXT??

• 5 months later...