98 Es300 Scheduled Maintenance Supplement

LOL

thats exactly what I was looking at. I was wondering whether I should change out my plug wires along with the plugs, and since its been 6+ years and the next recommended spark plug change is at 120 with the two pronged platinums, I guess cables as well. Anywhoo, here is from the 1998 Lexs Owners Manual supplement for 60,000 miles (page 83)

replace the following:

engine oil & filter, engine air filter, spark plugs (with a little note that requires this for your emmisions warranty), coolant, brake fluid, air conditioner filter (mines didn't come with one), rotate your tires.

I'll leave out the inspection stuff, but they do reccomend the follwoing optional things:

tranny and differential fluid change, inspect the body/chassis bolts (anyone know what in particular and what torque settings?)

I would definately do the tranny fluid and differential, its an easier DIY than an oil change, just make sure you don't overfill or underfill when replacing. Since you also have a 1998 es300 as well, the tranny fluid is Dexron III equivalent.

Good luck!

The 60K service is easy.

I did the following in my Es300. Herb chambers is too far for me to drive and I HATE my local Lexus dealer (snobs)

1) Rotated Tires in proper format

2) Lubed hinges

3) Lubed rubber moldings

4) Changed oil & filter(Amsoil)

5) Check break pads

6) Drain, flushed and installed a DIESEL coolant. It is better then gas and has no silicates in it (no fall out)

7) Changed brake fluid if not done yearly

8) Drained tranny and diff and installed new fluid, synthetic.

9) Removed plugs and wires. Installed new OEM wires and Denso play plugs

10) Check belts

11) Installed new PVC

12) Installed new gas cap

13) Installed new air filter

14) Drained and installed new power steering fluid

15) Clayed, buffer and polished

16) Vacuumed

17) Check wiper blades

Dealer wanted over $600..my price was about $110. Not including drinks!!!!!!

Made a long-island ice tea and just looked at it!

:cheers:

Good advice!

Did you change the gasket on the gas cap or the whole thing? WHat do you use to lube hinges and what rubber moldings?

I will do the PVC as well.

Did you buy online for the OEM wires?

Thanks

I bought the gasket for like $3.00. I lubed all the hinges (doors, hood, truck, moon roof etc) with synthetic silicone spray but I lithium grease should do ok to.Just be careful withthe moonroof so you do not get spray of the paint. My moonroof was dry and now it shuts smoooooooth. :)

The PVC is around $4.00 is easy to do. You will need to remove a wire connector or vac line (easy)

Yup, I got the wires and plugs (denso) all online. Bought them from Steve Ganz, CarsonToyota/Scion/Lexus Parts (in CA). Best prices I have found.

I have attached a file that what I need to be done this fall (90K).

The_90K_service.pdf

mburnickas,

I wish to do the same and fell more comfortable than suspecting dealer didn't do this right kinda attitude. Neither do have equipment or expertise. But interested to spend time and get used to... and learn. Spending time now a days here in forums to acquire some knowledge.(:

You follow any DIY manuals or got expertise over time with DIY stuff on other cars you maintained before ? Just curious.

Like me build/administer any software system/ hardware with little/some info on web to troubleshoot. Thats what my expertise. :)

Certified Pre-Owned

It is the fancy term car manufacturers called "used". All the makers have their coined term for pre-owned.

CPOs are through the dealership and have passed a long checklist of function and qualitly checks. The CPO vehicle usually comes with a 1 year or 100,000 total mile warranty. Typical used cars don't have this.

If I were to buy a used vehicle, I would most definately go the route of CPO.

steviej

Any place where we can find Scheduled maintenance information for 1998 ES300 ??

I had the same issue with my CPO 1997 Es 300. Manual included, but no scheduled maintenance. So when I took my car in for it's 100k check up, I asked where I could get one. Long Story short, I called Lexus Main office Customer Service to file a complaint against the idiot at the dealership :pirate: . I mentioned I don't have the Supplemental Service manual that holds all the scheduled maintenance. They sent me a new set for free :D .

The Number is:

[B]The Lexus Customer Assistance Center

Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT

Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4

I hope this helps.

By the by The Haynes is extremly helpful!!

Good Luck.

:cheers:

I believe you can get a free owner's manual for your Lexus vehicle on Lexus.com. Go into the Owner's portion of the site and register. You can only order a new manual every 30 days. (Don't know why anyone would want more than that). :-)

steviej - Not starting a war but the info on CPO is incorrect. When my Lemon Broke down last night #2 within 38 days, I flipped out last night on the Lexus lady and asked why do I keep paying you people money when the $#&% car is a CPO!!!! Then she said, oh, then it is free. You would think they would look in the computer before telling me to pay! :censored:

May a long story short, the years and milage for a CPO is 4 years or to 100,000 from the DATE you bought the car , NOT the original date.

I bought mine back in 2001 so the CPO warrenty expires in 2005, as the lady showed me on their "Lexus" computer.

lxs300 - What are you looking for, info wise? I will see if I can post the date you need on my website. I have (2) different CD's to make sure I am correct. The Lexus one is good but I think the other one I have is better.

I will make a PDF if that help or ZIP a PDF

steviej - Not starting a war but the info on CPO is incorrect. When my Lemon Broke down last night #2 within 38 days, I flipped out last night on the Lexus lady and asked why do I keep paying you people money when the $#&% car is a CPO!!!! Then she said, oh, then it is free. You would think they would look in the computer before telling me to pay!  :censored:

May a long story short,  the years and milage for a CPO is 4 years or to 100,000 from the DATE you bought the car , NOT the original date.

I bought mine back in 2001 so the CPO warrenty expires in 2005, as the lady showed me on their "Lexus" computer.

mburnickas, I stand paritally corrected. I meant to type 3 but I typed 1. Had the 1 in mind from 100,000. Oh well so much for not proof reading.

According to Lexus.com the CPO is 3 years from your date of purchase or 100,000 total vehicle miles (whichever comes first). Here is the link: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/index.html

mind you this is what is published as of 4/2004. The CPO criteria may have been different when you purchased yours in 2001. Lexus, of course, would have to honor the criteria in place at the time of your purchase for the time stated in your agreement.

as for starting wars, not even a thought. This is the proper place for civil discussions and exchange of ideas.

steveij

lxs300 - What are you looking for, info wise? I will see if I can post the date you need on my website. I have (2) different CD's to make sure I am correct. The Lexus one is good but I think the other one I have is better.

I will make a PDF if that help or ZIP a PDF

Thanks. I would like to know what is the maintenance schedule for 60 K miles on 1998 ES300. If it works out I can buy parts from toyota/lexus and get it done locally where I can save little money rather paying $625 @ dealership. The estimate I got for 60K miles on this car is $625 ranging from $1138.