Replacement Key For 1996 Sc300

Kmw864

I've been driving my dads 1996 Lexus sc300 for a few weeks. It is a manual transmission which I understand is rare. Anyway, I have lost the only key he had for the car. Can anyone give me any advice on the best/ cheapest/ quickest way to get another key made? I would like to avoid having the car towed somewhere if that's possible. Thank you very much. I don't need a remote and the key I lost was just a plain key- it didn't have any kind of special parts in it.

I've been driving my dads 1996 Lexus sc300 for a few weeks. It is a manual transmission which I understand is rare. Anyway, I have lost the only key he had for the car. Can anyone give me any advice on the best/ cheapest/ quickest way to get another key made? I would like to avoid having the car towed somewhere if that's possible. Thank you very much. I don't need a remote and the key I lost was just a plain key- it didn't have any kind of special parts in it.

Hi Kimberly and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I am not an expert on the 1996 Lexus Models, but I will give you a couple of suggestions on how to solve your problem.

I'm guessing that the key your SC300 takes has a black plastic head and a data chip on the key shank as well. IF, this is the case, there are Locksmiths who have those key styles and are usually able to program the chip on the key shank to match your cars software that turns on the ignition, engages the starter, and gets you on your way!

The program/software is different for each car. This is why the new key must be programed before your car will start. Hopefully, this keeps anyone else from stealing your SC.

If you can't find a qualified Locksmith you can go to your Lexus dealer. Their more expensive but they do have everything you need. Or, you can buy just the key if you want to try and do it yourself.

One last idea is e-bay. Usually there are several outfits advertising Lexus keys for sale.

I hope this is helpful. If this response does not help, let us know.

Paul

ps; One more resource is to do a search of our data base. You may find some information and suggestions on your situation.