Scratches On The Inside Ouchhh

Meist21

My 98 LS 400 has some scratches on the ashtray cover as well as on the shift console itself. They don't go down to the woodgrain just in like the clearcoat top. I have tried a couple different scratch removers and they don't work. I don't really want to use my high speed rotery (dremmel type) tool because I am afraid I will burn the mark. I tried the dremmel type tool yesterday but just a little as I burnt my headlights on my bonneville trying to clean the scratches out of them. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

have you tried meguiar's scratch X, thats what i used on mine, it seemed to work really well, doesn't last for all that long though.

i definately wouldn't put the dremel anywhere close to that plastic wood trim, it would burn it off in 1 second.

what you could do is remove the trim from the actually console, and use a buffer with a foam pad or terry pad and some compound on it, that would probably work really well

good luck

I figured there would be a way to polish it out. It is as if the top of the ashtray cover was rubbed against some metal (maybe keys). I tried scratch X and it didn't seem to work. My thinking was that since there is a clear coat finish over the wood that maybe a high speed buffer could get it out. It is minor but makes me mad cause everytime I look I see the scratch.