Shift Override

deeslexus

1991 LS 400

Recently the shift override is necessary to shift out of Park. No reference to what is now requiring me to do this in the manual. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks.

Sorry can you explain it abit more clear what you mean..

Either the electric switch (sensor) at the brake pedal or the electric solenoid (actuator) has gone bad.

The switch is located under the dash and gets activated when you press the brake pedal. This sends a signal to the solenoid that it is OK to let you shift out of PARK.

The solenoid is located under the wood trim at the gearshift. This actuator keeps the gearshift locked until you press on the brake pedal. Then it unlocks so that you can shift the transmission.

It is possible that neither are bad. I have heard of people spilling their drinks in this area and the mechanism gets sticky and won't work. Once it is cleaned up, it then starts working again. Is this a possibility for you?

Tom

Nothing was spilled at the gear shift. I just put it in park and when I went to switch it back into drive it wouldn't move. Since then I've had to press the shift override to get it out of park. Unfortunately there is nothing in the manual regarding this issue. Will it hurt anything to continue using the override button until I am able to get it to he dealership? Thanks for the replies.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. It is usually the brake light switch at the pedal. Do you have brake lights? No, it doesn't hurt to use the override but you are in danger if you don't have brake lights.

I agree with 1990LS400. check to see if you have brake lights or using the override wont be your biggest problem.

Thanks for everyones help. We checked and realized we didn't have brake lights. Just took it to the dealership and found out the whole rack and pinnion needs to be replaced.

what does rack has to do with the brake lights?

check in the independent shop about the rack issue b4 paying those big bux in the dealership

check in the independent shop about the rack issue b4 paying those big bux in the dealership

The brake lights had to do with the sensor that was loose which caused the shifter to not come out of park. The rack had to do with the power steering fluid leak.

you should get second opinion b4 paying so much $ for the rack. sometimes dealers just want to suck money from you. you came with the brake lights and not able to shift problem while he diagnosed you with the leaking rack. strange.

IMHO u need second and third opinion since racks are not cheap and are about 1300$ just for the parts.

• 2 years later...

you should get second opinion b4 paying so much $ for the rack. sometimes dealers just want to suck money from you. you came with the brake lights and not able to shift problem while he diagnosed you with the leaking rack. strange.

IMHO u need second and third opinion since racks are not cheap and are about 1300$ just for the parts.

I have the same problem now, I have no brake lights and can't shift out of park without the shift override button. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

• 7 months later...

The brake lights had to do with the sensor that was loose which caused the shifter to not come out of park. The rack had to do with the power steering fluid leak.

I am now experiencing this same problem. I took my vehicle to "Budget Brakes" here in TN in July for what I thought was a case of me only needing new pads and possibly new rotors. I ended up buying new rotors for the front and new brakes all around. Additionally, the mechanic convinced me that I needed new calibers as they were sticking. 1 week later, I was still hearing the squeaking and squealing from the vehicle that I originally brought it in for. The mechanic stated that (after a week), I'd ruined the rotor due to bad braking habits. Long story short, that didn't work and he gave me one new rotor (driver side). Since then, I've still heard a very quiet and off and on squeak, but decided that I didn't want to go back to Budget. After reading your post, I've decided that I may have to esculate this situation in some way. Currently, I don't have any brake lights coming on that I have observed, but the squeaking is still existing. In my case, I have spilled drinks in my gear stick area over the last year. As of 4 days ago, I've had a lot of trouble getting my car to shift out of park when I start the vehicle. I also noticed a difference in the gear shifting as I was driving. The gear shifting is has now gotten progressively worse as is causing me major concern. I just learned the function of my "shift override switch" which is allowing me to smoothly shift out of "park". I'm about 100 miles overdue for an oil change (of which I'll get this week), but I'm not confident that that has anything to do with my weakening acceleration. I also have the same power steering fluid leak as mentioned in the previous note. Any thoughts on any of this? Does my case sound like I need a rack or am I probably dealing with a braking, rack, transmission and engine issue? PLEASE HELP. I love this car and have only had to replace a starter 2 years ago since I've had it.

• 8 years later...

I'm having a similar issue with my 99 Lexus GS400. Left for work on Friday and my car would not shift into Reverse. I had to use the override to get home. I can only get the car into Drive now by using the override. All brake lights are working. Once in Drive, the car will shift into Neutral but cannot go into Reverse or Park without the override. How serious could this be, should I not drive it at all? I'm not in a position to get it fixed or looked at for another couple of weeks and I have some family members in a panic because I am using the override. Any advice here would be appreciated.