Question!

healingtouch

i have a 97 lx450 that i really love. i had a question for all members.

parts of the dashboard lighting seems to be fading/not on when i turn on the lights at night. bottom two rows of climate control section suddenly does not light up....where it reads low, med, hi......and then right below...numbers indicating temperature ....the top two rows work just fine...

also at the bottom of the main shifter, it doesn't come on when i turn on the lights..... you know..the one with p, r, n, d, 1, 2,...

what could be the problem? and best solution for it? dealer job? or diy?

would appreciate your input

thanks

parts of the dashboard lighting seems to be fading/not on when i turn on the lights at night. bottom two rows of climate control section suddenly does not light up....where it reads low, med, hi......and then right below...numbers indicating temperature ....the top two rows work just fine...

also at the bottom of the main shifter, it doesn't come on when i turn on the lights..... you know..the one with p, r, n, d, 1, 2,...

thanks

anyone?

With that type of problem, you can first check the fuses; if OK, then you need to remove the pannel and check the light bulbs. If the light bulbs are OK, you can check the light bulb's socket and see if there's voltage. If not, you have to trace back to the source.

Most likely, it's a bad bulb or loose connection. If you plan to work on your car, it's a good idea to get some kind of service manual.

Thi

As Thi said, check the fuses first.

The dash bulbs do burn out over time. I haven't had to replace them on mine, but have heard of others replacing them.

Obviously the dealership can do this, but I doubt it'll be inexpensive -- nothing from the dealership usually is...

Doug

With that type of problem, you can first check the fuses; if OK, then you need to remove the pannel and check the light bulbs. If the light bulbs are OK, you can check the light bulb's socket and see if there's voltage. If not, you have to trace back to the source.

Most likely, it's a bad bulb or loose connection. If you plan to work on your car, it's a good idea to get some kind of service manual.

Thi

thanks for your reply. i'll check the fuses first. but just in case, how do you remove the panel? is it easy to do? since i enjoy working on my truck, i'm going to crack at it first.

In order to remove the center pannel on a 97 LX 450, you need to remove the little cup (optional cup holder) over the radio. There are 2 plastic clips on the inside of the cup; you need to pry them down a little and slide the thing out. You can tape the end of a screw driver so that you won't scratch it.

After removing the cup, remove the 2 screws inside it. Remove the ash tray and look under it and see if there are anymore screws.

Beside the screws, there are about 8 clips that hold the pannel in place. Gently pry the pannel out. Watch out for electrical wires and climate control hose behind the pannel.

Thi

• 3 years later...

thanks

Any luck with the lights. I got the same problem and i`m wondering if the dealer can fix,