I'm Selling It!

Ok recap. I bought a BEAUTIFUL 99 Lexus ES300 about 1 month ago. It currently has 59k miles on it. Well a week after I got it the airbag light flashed, got it checked out it was only an open circuit wire and was fixed for $67 and no more problems with that. Well tonight while I was driving the "TRAC OFF" and the warning indicator light came on (they are right next to each other) at the same time. SO I pulled over and put the TRAC control to off and drove a little and the lights were still on then pulled over put the TRAC control back on and still both lights stayed on.

I don't know whether to be mad or just cry. I love this car but these things are not supposed to be happening, I mean :censored: it's a Lexus! My Mom has a 96 and NEVER has 1 light ever came on and she has over 100k miles on it.

I know I can't sell a "lemon" so if I do fix it then I'll def. sell it then. I'm afraid to see what will happen next. After I fix it what should I sell it for? When I bought the car I bought a full extended warranty also for 3 years.

UGH!!!!!

Well first off you need to pull back and look at the situation logically.

You've only had the car 1 month, and in that time you've had two warning lights appear. The first one was fixed for $67.

If you were experiencing sputtering and explosive backfiring or something then I would agree you have a lemon and should look into getting rid of it, but its just a warning light. You have no idea what it could be yet. I think if a couple odd warning lights are the biggest issues on a 5 year old car then you're a-okay. My Explorer was in the shop for thousands of dollars when it was that age. Just take it down to Pepboys and get the code read and figure out whats going on.

Two malfunctioning warning lights do not a lemon make. As well engineered as a Lexus is, its a machine and in your ownership of it its going to require repair.

Plus you're going to wind up upside down on it if you sell it, especially after buying that warranty. The warranty should have paid for that $67 repair.

i agree.just because a light is annoying you it dont mean the car is bad or a lemon!go get it checked out and its most likley a cheap fix.dont do what i use to do and just sell the car because of minor issues!i made that mistake before and shouldnt of so firt get it fixed and go from there.

now if down the road a little it starts acting up with a ton of annoying things then sell it but at least you had it long enough to know the car.1 month is not long enough to tell if the car is really bad or just in need of some minor fixes.good luck

I guess you guys are right. :blushing: It just that I thought a Lexus would be perfect, at least mine anyways, lol. And it's just scary to think...what next? :wacko:

The warranty does not cover anything to do with airbags and also they don't cover any diagnostic checks, that is why I had to pay for it. Same with the traction stuff. I read over the warranty and it dosen't say anything about covering traction control. I think it is the traction control because that light and the "warning indicator" symbol light came on and and stayed on at the same time. The warranty also states that it will not cover anything that isn't writtin in the "covered" part. I am still trying to find out what the factory warranty will cover, so far just the drive train and corrosion. I have my homework cut out for me Monday.

PEP BOYS? They can hook it up and check the codes? I bet they are cheaper then Toyota and Lexus. I have my 60k service due soon is it better to take to Lexus for that or would Toyota do fine?

Thanks again. :cheers:

jen, also note that the TRAC light and check engine light on together can mean the car has gone into a "safety" mode and may not involve the TRAC system at all.

A common cause of this can be the emissions system, the charcol canister to be exact. Get the codes read and see if the warranty will fix it. Also look into any TSBs that may exist, if there is one for the problem that is identified, that may help defray the cost. you can get a list of TSB (technical service bulletins) on www.alldata.com

good luck and let us know what the problem was. Have faith in your car, it will treat you right. If there was a perfect car......everyone would be driving it. That would make for a boring world and alot of out of work mechanics.

steviej

Yeah but I know from experience, getting those extended warranty companies to pay is like getting bourbon from a wineo. Thats why I always reccomend people pass on them. There are so many "exclusions" and "stipulations" basically unless the car explodes they're not gonna pay, thats how they make money by only covering the catastrophic repairs that so rarely actually happen.

And thats the problem with buying used cars. Since she bought a warranty I assume she didn't buy it CPO from Lexus, let the buyer beware. She paid them for it, its not their problem anymore.

Ok took it to the Lexus dealer and your right, the TRAC light comes on because it is right next to the warning indicator light. The dealership I bought the car from (not a lexus dealer BTW) is going to reimburse me for the key remote tranmitter, a spare key getting made, the open circuit for the air bag system, the deductable for having to use the extended warranty on this newest problem. If I didn't have the extended warranty I would have to pay almost $500.00 so I'm glad I got it now. I'm glad the dealer is stepping up to the plate and paying me back for these things which come close to $400.00. They advertised the car has NO mechanical problems what so ever and close to perfect. I understand I bought it and all but I had my first problem with the car only a week after I got it and the dealer only giving me 1 key and everytime I opened my car door the alarm would sound is not right at all. I told the manager from the dealership which I bought it from that I haven't even received the registration yet and the car has been to the shop 3 times already!

Thanks again everyone. My car gets out of the shop tomorrow and I can't wait. I hope this is it for at least a while now.