Hvac Odor

I was wondering if anyone with an '03 or '04 ES has noticed a severe odor problem coming from the hvac system, particularly when using the defrost. Lexus replaced a certain filter with an RX filter, claiming it was a basic issue with most ES cars. This is not a sulfur smell. Thanks.

I got it last May/June. It happens about once per year. The cabin filter for the AC system gets mold and mildew in it. The moisture allows for growth. It is not a sulfur smell at all, it is more like dirty feet or old potatoe chips and onion rings. :wacko::blink:

Simple solution is to replace the filter. It is totally covered in your owner's manual and is a very simple DIY.

The filters themselves are very expensive from the dealer and they will charge you a hour minimum to change it.

I just bought two filters from www.irontoad.com for less then $30 each. You only need 5 minutes and a philips screwdriver to change it.

steveij

I just bought two filters from www.irontoad.com for less then $30 each. You only need 5 minutes and a philips screwdriver to change it.

I wish mine were as easy as that. I just changed the A/C filter (2-pc assembly) from my '01 ES, which is located on the floor to the right of the gas pedal. Yes, it was a real b***h to remove the old filter and install the new one under such cramped space; I guess it's good that I'm a slim person! :P

heyguys, there are many types of anti fungi deodorizers out there to kill the tame,but anoying smells. 1 thing... some of them are so strong that repeated use can and will remove the protective coating on the evap.core and cause it to rust.

if you have a repeating foul odor and tryed the filters and deodorizers then there

is a chance that the evaporator in the vehicle needs to be replaced due to performance. i've done it and had sucess.the best bandaid i ever used was a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, i use an atomizer and run it in the a/c matrix for about 20 min.CAUTION.. heavy use will stain the carpet-and do not get in the car until it has aired out for a few hours.i dont use more than a 1/4 cup of each and never stained a carpet. i do know people who did.

good luck my smelly friends