1997 Ls400 Brakes

LWR

THe brakes in this one don't inspire confidence.They are squishy,long travel and nowhere near as good as the LS430 or SC430.I've had the agent check it three times but they say they are normal.I'm not so sure.The pedal can easily be pushed to the floor at the lights and you feel like you could almost drive through the brakes.

The LS400 brakes make the brakes in my 1978 450 SE look good!

LWR, It sounds like the master brake cylinder might be bad. The brakes on the early LS sold in the U.S. were pretty weak but I thought they were quite good by 97. Or could the problem be caused by your brake pedal being on the wrong side of the car. I'm kidding!!! The pedal on my 2000 LS is firm and there is not much travel toward the floor.

You have a 78 450SE? I had a 73 450SEL back in the 70's. How I loved that car - it was so incredible compared to anything else available in the 70's. When I first saw and bought an LS in 1990, it was like reliving the 70's with my 450 but with an even more incredible car.

Jim

yeah definetly smth wrong with the master cylinder. my brakes are really hard. there is no way i can drive through them. try to bleed them first to make sure there is no air in the system then change the bads but make sure you will not forget the shims otherwise the will be really squeaky.

Thanks Guys!I'll get my independent mechanic to look at it on Tuesday.That's exactly what I think is wrong.It has only done 60K KM.

We've had the 450 since 1984 and it hasn't even done 40K KM.It is still original everywhere and smells as new everytime you open the door.It is as tight as a drum but a bit old worldly to drive as you would expect.By today's standard,it is so simple and parts are so cheap.We'll keep it forever!

Also have a 1978 911SC since new that has 40K KM as well that goes like stink,is a lot of fun and looks and smells like new inside.

Well,it was the master cylinder.Thanks very much for all your help!The pedal is much firmer and the brakes really bite now.

Don't know why the agent couldn't find it...........