Brake Module For 1999 Lexus Rx300 Checking Mechanics Price

Chique

Hi. I'm hoping someone will have more knowledge than I about a repair for failing brake lights on my 1999 RX300. All other lights work; including directionals, parking lights, backup lights, and hazards.

The only lights failing are Brake Lights.

I'm told it is a failing brake light module. The cost from the dealership ( only place for independent mechanic to order this 'special order part') is $418.00, bulbs $10 . labor and diagnosis $150.00, $35. tax for a total of $613.00.

Part number he says I need is:#89373-20240

Does this sound right? Would this part be right for this problem? Is the price for this part really over 400?

Please help.

Its is cheaper from Sewell Lexus but you have to register with them as being a member of this site. should be under $400. Couldn't find it on a diagram, but appears to be a rip,

could be had on Flea bay for under $150 used, that is the route I would go.

The part is $280.33 from Sewell not including shipping if you register. I assume that your mechanic will get a healthy mechanic's discount from the Lexus dealer - he certainly won't pay retail price for the part.

Mechanics depend on making a profit both from parts and their labor.

However! The part number you provided is for the "Lamp Failure Indicator Sensor". This sounds fishy.

Has the brake light switch on the brake pedal lever been checked? That's what most often causes brake lights to fail. The brake light switch on the brake pedal is cheap - less than $45 from Sewell.

Your indie mechanic may be trying to scam you buy charging for an expensive part and replacing a cheap part - a very common scam.

Note also when the brake light switch on the pedal fails, sometimes the cruise control will not work. I have never seen that module fail on these forums, So if it were me I would opt for the flea bay used one or your local junk yard. seems like a weird solution to me also. There is also a Stop lamp fuse (20A) Power goes from fuse to Stop light switch (located by the brake pedal) to the Light failure sensor to the Left, right, and high mount stop lamps. Very simple circuit. I wonder if you have a misadjusted brake lamp switch?

Note also when the brake light switch on the pedal fails, sometimes the cruise control will not work. I have never seen that module fail on these forums, So if it were me I would opt for the flea bay used one or your local junk yard. seems like a weird solution to me also.

Lenore, I've seen a numerous reports on Lexus forums about the stop light switch at the brake pedal failing on all models. One on my 90 LS400 failed slowly over a period weeks or months. Sometimes the brake lights worked and sometimes they didn't. Sometimes I had to use the shift lock override button to shift out of Park and sometimes not. If the OP's 99 RX is on the original brake pedal switch, then I think we have a miracle here!

totally agree, just don't feel the sensor assembly is a high failure item. Just have not found that anywhere. Too bad he is at mercy of mechanic, It would be a very easy check to see if that module is indeed the problem. I concur, that the stop light switch would normally be the culprit.