A Question Of Taste...

OKSC3

My original intentions were to purchase a SC300 and build a custom turbo (just got done doing one for an Impreza and loved it so much that I wanted to do it, only with more power), but on the same note my next car had to be a daily driver, so I needed something reliable. Thus the SC300. But thats where it started, not where its ending...

Long story short, I have about 6 Pontiac Fiero's, 3 with V-6's that run, and two Caddy Northstar engines (One fiero chassis and one N* engine are going into a Diablo kit car), so it leaves me with 5 Fiero's, with 3 running V-6's and a Northstar V-8 to tinker with...

Which leads me to my question. Since I have these project cars already I am not going to be doing any serious performance mods on Lexus (When I get one), perhaps some exterior mods, just the basics, but I am seperating from Active Duty to Guard and have to drive over 100miles one way a few times a month to my base and want to get the car that is going to be more pleasing on trips like that.

So in your opinions what would be better as a daily driver for now, which rides better, has better response, and is refined the best.

Thanks Guys,

Kyle

For as much as i dont like the lexus, i would pick it over a fiero. Nothing wrong with them, but as a daily driver the lexus would be better and more forgiving in my opinoin. As for reliable, staying as stock as possible would be best to an extent. I have my JZ modded a bit and dont have any worries except for the auto trans which i should be getting rid of next month if all goes well.

lol, its not a question of the Lexus over the Fiero... My original intent was to get an SC300 and N/A-T it like my last car. But now I am going to keep the lexus mostly stock (Minus visual modifications, and exhaust perhaps).

Where the Fiero's come into play is that we have 7 of them just for playing with, so that is why I am going to keep the Lexus a low key daily driver, why mess up a nice car when I have a slew of beaters that I can run to death and if they pop it dosen't hurt me any.

Since I am more shopping for a daily driver I don't need a manual, and I thought I might as well pick up an SC400 instead, get the extra Torque and Ponies that it comes with stock. Unless there is a reason to have an SC300 over the SC400 as a daily driver.

Thanks,

Kyle

I've riden in a few Fiero's. Both Northstar and V6. I would pick my SC over one any day. Fiero's are like ticking time bombs imo. They're great little cars, especially with the Lotus suspension, but they're just not my thing. If you're going daily driver, and want something that, in my mind is one of the best cars made. An SC is definitely where you want to go. And if you eventually want to N/A-T the car. I would suggest getting a 300 over a 400, but I'm sure you already had figured that.

If you honestly have any question, just go drive an SC. Even the biggest POS will be better than a Fiero as in road quality IMO. Seriously, don't take our word for it. Just go drive one for yourself, I garuntee you will have zero questions after that.

SC400 for a reliable daily driver. It has the seat-of-the-pants torque without modifying along with a plush ride. You might end up making your 100 mile journey a few miles longer by finding the long way to work.

If you havent driven an SC4 or 3 (or any Lexus for that matter), it will be the difference between night and day from your Fiero.

If you like the raw, race-car feel of the Fiero, then you probably wont like the ride of the SC's...they wll put you to sleep.

I have driven both the SC3 and SC4 and the torque of the SC4 is what I prefer. Zero to 60 and quarter mile times are one thing but I dont like beating the crap out of my car so the torque fit's my driving style.

lol, you guys are missing my point, I am getting a lexus, but I just wanted an opinionated point of view, I am leaning towards the SC4 since I am not going to be doing any serious mods to the car.

The only way a Fiero comes into play is that they will satisfy my craving to modify cars, we have 7 of them already for me to tear on. That being, I am not going to tear into my car so I want to buy an SC that is considered better just plain out stock. Its not a comparison between the SC's and a Fiero, its a comparo between the SC3 and the SC4. The only reason I through in the Fiero's is to say that I have a pocket rocket that I can destroy and run and have fun with. Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Kyle

Ahhh...now i understand. I would pick the SC over the fiero.

NoOoOoOoOo!!!

:lol:

I have the Fiero's already, no choosing them over the SC's...

I am getting a lexus, but I am not looking to spend money on performance mods...

So should I get the SC3 or SC4, so which it more pleasing in the stock form...

I hear that the sc400 is a lot better than sc300 in stock form. People just want the sc300 because it's the Supra's cousin and boosting is more possible, and the 300 is about 200 pounds lighter. Although I've never driven the 400, I feel that the sc400 should last a lot longer if driven by the right person. It has gobs of torque so it doesn't have to rev high all the time. Also, the engine should be the same one on the LS400. When Lexus first appeared, they needed a straight quality record to compete against the Europeans.

so youre wondering if you should get the smaller or bigger engine, basically? i think my rhetoric easily answers your question. its like trying to decide to get the i4 or v6 accord; simply answered: "bigger is better"/"theres no replacement for displacement".

btw, how in the hell do you end up with 7 fieros?

so youre wondering if you should get the smaller or bigger engine, basically? i think my rhetoric easily answers your question. its like trying to decide to get the i4 or v6 accord; simply answered: "bigger is better"/"theres no replacement for displacement".

btw, how in the hell do you end up with 7 fieros?

He's not asking whether an SC is better than a Fiero for daily driving, he already knows that. He's asking whether the 400 is better than the 300 as a DD.

IMHO, I chose the 400 over the 300 because I wanted an auto, and without an engine swap, the 400 is going to be more suited to the auto trans than the smaller six. I've also had lots of "toy" go-fast cars, and I just wanted something that was quiet, reliable, and comfortable. The gas mileage was nearly identical between the 300 and 400, so the choice was obvious to me.

Thats what I was looking for Mikee.. Thanks, and I am pretty set on the SC4 now.

As far as ending up with 7 Fiero's, we had picked one up for a Lambo Diablo kit car we have, and needed some extra parts, so we called buddy with a salvage yard and told him to keep his eye out for a *couple* of Fiero's, it had been a few months, but he called the other day and said he was holding 6 of them for us! He had 9 come through, but once he hit the number six if he got a better one he would send the worst one to scrap. So we have one on hand and 6 waiting down the road at the yard, :lol: