Nakamichi Cd Changer Installation

I have a 92 LS400 that was nailed in right rear trunk area. Consequently, the CD changer and bracket were destroyed, among other parts. I have had all the body work repaired at an auto refinishing shop and have taken the CD changer situation into my own hands, however I can't figure out what I'm missing when I try to mount it. I have a brand new CD changer, aluminum "L"-shaped bracket, and mounting bolts. I can't figure out how the bracket mounts inside the quarter panel and to the trunk floor. I would really like to see some diagrams or pics, but can't seem to find any. Any help is greatly appreciated.

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

Thanks for replying...the original CD changer is 86270-50010 or CDX-M9751ZT and manufactured December 1991. The front of it has a raised molded surround for the "OPEN" button which is recessed maybe a 1/16th of an inch inside of the surround. The "new" CD changer has the exact same numbers on it and was manufactured March 1992. It looks identical (size, shape, materials, style, numbers, everything except manufacturing date of course) to the original. I know about the CD changer mounting to the L bracket, but I don't exactly how the L bracket mounts to the car. There are 2 holes on the upper side of the bracket that correspond to two holes inside the quarter panel, however there are two holes on each of the "feet" on the bottom of the bracket that have no obvious corresponding holes on the car (lower trunk panel or floor pan). This is where I am lost...where to mount the bracket to the car securely. Once I figure out the bracket mounting, then I can bolt the CD changer to it and then clip on the carpeted trunk panel with the first aid kit on top. I have looked at the carstereohelp.com pictures, but the last one is not close enough. If it were only closer and pointing towards the bottom edge of the CD changer, then I could maybe see what's going on. Thanks again for the help.

if they replaced the right quarterpanel from an ls400 without a cd changer ordered at the factory then there wouldnt be any holes. the holes were only in the models ordered at the factory. the non cd changer cars wernt prewired either but putting different quarterpanels at the factory seems unbelievable but true.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, I have posted some pictures in the gallery ( they are probably at the end). of the bracket in the trunk. Do you see how the lower end of the bracket has nowhere to mount? I think I am missing some part or something? Please let me know if you know anything about this part of the car.

did they replace that qurterpanel or not. if they replaced it with a non cd changer installed parts car the bottom circled in red bolt holes arnt going to be there. i dont think your doing anything wrong. they actually had 2 different floor trunk support beams. 1 for cd changer and another when no cd changer.

Thanks for the info, went to Lexus dealer again and got access to '91 LS 400 that was written off. I pulled off the trunk panel covering the CD changer to reveal two small steel tabs welded onto the floor pan that extends into the free space under those "floating" bracket "feet." This provides a mounting point for the lower bracket. I while get these small parts cut off the original floorpan that was junked and repaint and reweld them back in. Small oversight on the bodyshop's part, but they said they will fix it. Thanks again for your time.

YES I FIGURED IT WAS A BODY SHOP GOOF UP. I AM GLAD THEY STILL HAD YOUR OLD QUARTERPANEL. TYHE QUARTERPANEL THEY PUT IN WAS FRPOM A NON CD CHANGER LS400; THEY ACTUALLY MADE 2 DIFFERENT QUARTERPANELS IN FIRST GENERATION CARS. THE ES300 HAS DIFFERENT CROSS MEMBERS OIN THE FLOOR.