Maximum Life Of The V8 Timing Belt ?

VGR

http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm

lextreme does have the part list at the begining of article.

rotors/caps/wires/plugs are really optional, but you may choose to do them at the same since all of them need to be unpluged or disassembled in the process.

in fact, I would recommend to change out the thermastat and it's gasket too. thermastat is cheap, and it will cost a lot of time or labor to replace it alone.

also, remember to go to toyata dealer to get two gallons of long-life red OAT coolant and two gallons of dis-stilled water for 1:1 mixture. essentially a coolant flush-n-refill job is part of whole 9-yards too!

Thanks a lot! :cheers:

You don't consider the coolant flush optional? :unsure:

And can ya tell my bro-in-law is the one out of us who builds cars, etc? ;)

You don't consider the coolant flush optional?

well, when you get everything apart, most of the old coolant are gone anyway....why not do the complete 'flush-n-refill'?

Damn good point. :D

water (or should we say 'coolant'?) pump is part of the engine cooling system, and it's driven by the timing belt mechanically. just check your coolant level at resorvoir.

if low, DO NOT just add water. go get a gallon of toyata long-life red coolant ($15~$20 per gallon), and mixed it with 1:1 dis-stilled water.

NEVER, NEVER top off red coolant with green coolant which basically will destroy the longevity of the red coolant.

in fact, I would recommend to change out the thermastat and it's gasket too. thermastat is cheap, and it will cost a lot of time or labor to replace it alone.

The thermostat is cheap indeed ($11). Does the gasket come shipped with it? Or are you referring to the housing which is not very cheap actually.

acf, gen strarts at 98. thunder river, look at the pic here and the resrvoir with the yellow cap is for the coolant for then gen I LS

DSC00209.sized.jpg

So, hypothetically, if your LS overheats and the coolant level is low. You must add a 1:1 ratio of red coolant and water (distilled)?

Yes,

Just pre-mix 50/50 and keep the jug handy in the garage....

Gen III is 98-2000

acf,

if you have original toyota red coolant in there already, you must top off with the same kind of red coolant (Organic Acid Technology, dyed red) which should be mixed with dis-stilled water at 1:1 and it's sold at Toyota/Lex dealers only.

u don't have to change the housing for thermostat. can't recall whether I have to buy the gasket seperately or not, but it can't be more than couple of dollars.

acf,

if you have original toyota red coolant in there already, you must top off with the same kind of red coolant (Organic Acid Technology, dyed red) which should be mixed with dis-stilled water at 1:1 and it's sold at Toyota/Lex dealers only.

I assume I do but I haven't touched it in the few months I've had the car. :huh:

• 10 months later...

We just bought a '94 LS with 154K whose timing belt had never been replaced. So we did that, the drive belt, and the water pump all at once. The mechanic said the timing belt didn't "look too bad," but we didn't want to run any risks.

If any car has a radiator it has water in it and a water pump with the possible exception of some strange exotica car I have never heard of. I posted about a week ago about TB and water pumps. My car has 115,000 on it. Just took it down to the rotor caps and looked at the belt. Not showing any warring signs. I plan to let it go until one of the following happens:

Car hits 150,000

Water pump goes

Belt goes.

I made very sure that a broken TB would not eat the engine. Why some folks keep coming back to it will beats me.

I can tell you that a lot of the time asking a service writer about your car is liking asking a drunk at the bar. :whistles: Don't believe what you are told. :cheers: They should know, but they do not. :lol:

I guess that is why dealers get the big bucks for working on your car. :rolleyes:

Timing belt change is not that bad. It just takes time. Be patience and do it slowly. If you think timing belt is hard. U should try to replace your starter. It took me almost 6 hours. No its not the upper or the lower intake. What took most of the time was the two 14mm bolt that hold the starter.

It require special tools. I have an article on it.

Lextreme, you say it took 6 hours to replace the starter? You didn't happen to make a tutorial for doing this did you? Probably a good idea while you have everything else apart. I'll probably do a waterpump this summer even though it isn't leaking. I put a waterpump on my Caprice last weekend, took me about an hour and was free (lifetime warrenty). I'm not sure which I prefer, an easy cheap job every 5 years or a difficult one every 15 years.

Lextreme,  you say it took 6 hours to replace the starter?  You didn't happen to make a tutorial for doing this did you?  Probably a good idea while you have everything else apart.  I'll probably do a waterpump this summer even though it isn't leaking.  I put a waterpump on my Caprice last weekend, took me about an hour and was free (lifetime warrenty).  I'm not sure which I prefer, an easy cheap job every 5 years or a difficult one every 15 years.

Yeah Denny.........that starter is brutal :chairshot: It's really a shame where Toyota buried it........... :pirate:

Lextreme,  you say it took 6 hours to replace the starter?  You didn't happen to make a tutorial for doing this did you?  Probably a good idea while you have everything else apart.  I'll probably do a waterpump this summer even though it isn't leaking.  I put a waterpump on my Caprice last weekend, took me about an hour and was free (lifetime warrenty).  I'm not sure which I prefer, an easy cheap job every 5 years or a difficult one every 15 years.

Sure do....

DIY V8 Starter Replacement Make sure you get a special 14mm tool. Other people stated you have to loosen the tranny mount and so. I did it without jacking the car up. All from the top.

Hey Lexextreme,

My wife has an 02 Sequoia ------ a 2UZFE engine -------. I've noticed more "clearance" on the intake manifolds in this engine. I'm assuming the starter is in the same location........does this mean it's easier to get to the starter - with the extra room?? Looks like more room behind the engine too ( from the firewall)?????????????? :unsure:

Just wondering.........

Do you find the Tutorial Helpful?  The 2UZ should be easier, but again its a taller car to work on and you back will kill u.

I was hoping you could just get to that starter without removing the intakes and such.l.............

Yes, the tutorial is nice - I like how you've incorporated the Lexus service manual.... :cheers:

I was hoping you could just get to that starter without removing the intakes and such.l.............

Yes, the tutorial is nice - I like how you've incorporated the Lexus service manual.

Doing the timing belt and starter is two different procedure and its none related. Timing belt is all front.. Starter is tall top. Replacing starter without removing the intakes would be IMPOSSIBLE.

Supra starter can be remove without removing the intake.