Spark Plugs

I am in the process of purchasing spark plugs. My car has 69000 miles on it. I have a 98 GS400. I asked a mechanic friend of mine about the plugs. He says that platinum will work just fine even though the manual states that I have to use Iridium. What will happen to my car if I use the platinum instead of the iridium?

Also, the diagram in the manual shows a double tipped plug, but the Iridium I researched only has one tip. Can I get away with one tip?

cheaper yes but not as good in my opinoin.everytime i use platnium they dont last long for me.maybe its me but i used platnium in almost all my cars and had to switch them out pretty fast because they would foul out.try the iridiums and see how they are and they should last you longer.

remember sometimes its good to save money if your buying the same thing at a cheaper price but not good if your buying something that wont last as long as the more expensive item.your choice though and both are better then a standard plug.

The owners manual is the boss. It specifies the part number of the correct Denso or NGK plug to use. If you use something else you'll pay a big price someday in terms of premature failure of expensive ignition system components, degraded gas mileage and more.

cheaper yes but not as good in my opinoin.everytime i use platnium they dont last long for me.maybe its me but i used platnium in almost all my cars and had to switch them out pretty fast because they would foul out.try the iridiums and see how they are and they should last you longer.

remember sometimes its good to save money if your buying the same thing at a cheaper price but not good if your buying something that wont last as long as the more expensive item.your choice though and both are better then a standard plug.

:D :P xactly!!!!

I totally agree with using what the owner manual says. HOWEVER -here's the mystery -have any of y'all actually changed the plugs yourself in a '98 and up GS300? I looked at tit and it looks to me like I'm going to have to yank of the intake to get to some of the plugs! ALSO -the manual doesn't call for wire changes but doesn't it make good sense to change them at the same times, since old wires can cause ignition problems in humid/rainy weather?

Peace on! :D :cheers:

I totally agree with using what the owner manual says. HOWEVER -here's the mystery -have any of y'all actually changed the plugs yourself in a '98 and up GS300? I looked at tit and it looks to me like I'm going to have to yank of the intake to get to some of the plugs! ALSO -the manual doesn't call for wire changes but doesn't it make good sense to change them at the same times, since old wires can cause ignition problems in humid/rainy weather?

Peace on! :D :cheers:

:lol: Just another one of those things that looks harder than it really is. Yank the front of the intake , only 4 bolts. and a couple vacuum lines. i believe each cylinder has it's own coil so the wires are short and will last almost forever. :P

The only reason an Iridium plug would 'foul out' on someone is if they have the wrong heat range. Sorry, it's just that simple.

I've done back to back testing of Iridium vs Platinum and found absolutely no power gain at all.

I think you should go with whichever is cheapest. They're both damn good plugs.