Erratic Power Steering Boost

nevans

I drive a 1990 LS400 in and around Boston and I think it's overall the most cooperative car I owned -even better than my now deceased Mercedes 300E, however, the Lexus has developed a rather startling habit of occasionally over boosting the steering around rotaries and reverse angle curves on parkways. I cannot detect a pattern in the occurence, let's just say it's always inappropriate. Obviously the car is quite elderly, but it's worthwhile for me to keep it going because in the city the appearance of cars is quickly destroyed making full insurance quite expensive. Has anyone had this problem? What was your solution?

Thanks, :blink:

the full name of the system is progressive power system so it adjusts to the speed you are driving so you have to apply the same force always. jimbostar in your case it looks almost normal but if you want to make it always equal then check the solenoind in the rack, this is the part that is responsible for this.

Thanks for taking the time.

This solenoid does it have a "rest" position. So that if I unplug it I could have non-progressive boost? Or, perhaps, no boost at all then the whole thing blows apart?

Also, a while ago I drove through a blizzard and hit a huge chuck of compressed snow that probably fell from the mudflap of a truck. This icy chuck damaged the PS return line, just the rubber clamp-on bit. This happened on the Jersey Turnpike and I continued to Boston losing boost entirely somewhere in Connecticut. Could the rack be junk as a result?

Nate

Note that the solenoid has a metal filter screen on the end that needs blown-off with a air hose ever so often. But don't know if it was completely stopped up, would the system be like yours.

You remove the solenoid with a sharp chisel on the metal shoulder[this is a normal thread-ccw to remove].

Please check your power steering reservior. It's dirty and fluid ain't circulate around. Power steering fluid will break down when it reach a certain temp. You also need to flush out your system. Also it wouldn't hurt to check the screen on the rack. If everything is ok.. check the pressure of the pump.

JPI